Will an AMG GTS fit in a single integral garage?

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Correct me if I am wrong and most likely am.
The building regulations would have a minimum standard size for building a garage.
But this would have been in 19?? when cars such as the Austin mini and Morris Minor would fit easy and with room to some maintenance in the garage.
Today you would be lucky to fit any popular car in.
I think you are correct...and this is the problem with modern houses that have single garages.
Maybe this is the reason that the majority of people with garages use them for any other purpose except the one they were designed for. :D
A select few understand the benefits of parking what is usually the second most expensive item we own in a garage, but rest cant be bothered to do so even if the space is available. :p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think you are correct...and this is the problem with modern houses that have single garages.
Maybe this is the reason that the majority of people with garages use them for any other purpose except the one they were designed for. :D
A select few understand the benefits of parking what is usually the second most expensive item we own in a garage, but rest cant be bothered to do so even if the space is available. :p
A great many of my neighbours have converted the garage into another room. Especially popular in lockdown... I‘m debating a wider front door so I can get the bikes in the house.... :p :cool:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A great many of my neighbours have converted the garage into another room. Especially popular in lockdown... I‘m debating a wider front door so I can get the bikes in the house.... :p :cool:
Yes the majority do not use a garage (or what used to be a garage) for its original intended purpose.
I know somebody who used to keep his large capacity modified Suzuki in his spare bedroom (yes he was single :p). Getting it through the front door was easy enough, but balancing it on a plank of wood up the steps was much more tricky. :oops:

Last edited:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
During the period I was single I had 15 Lambrettas in my house. Occasional girlfriend used to complain about cracking their ankles on them.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
During the period I was single I had 15 Lambrettas in my house. Occasional girlfriend used to complain about cracking their ankles on them.
I used to keep my CBR in the dining room of a previous house. Made a nice ” feature” :)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I suspect that although a tricky fit, it will fit, but you wont get out.
When you take into account the length of the doors and their thickness the extra 20cm won't be enough to get out. Its why both of my CLs have lived on the drive.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you take into account the length of the doors and their thickness the extra 20cm won't be enough to get out. Its why both of my CLs have lived on the drive.
Yes being only a 2 door car they tend to be larger, but I think it should be possible to get in and out of the car while it's inside the garage.
Total width of the car including mirrors is 2075 mm and the available space inside the garage is 2500 mm.
When parked the car can be positioned to allow more space on the drivers side, and this together with the narrower width across the doors should make entering and exiting with care relatively easy.

8 days and counting since the OP's last visit. :D

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Yep - the length of the doors means you need more space to get in and out easily. I had the centre pillar of our garage removed and a double door fitted to I could get the SL into my garage and in / out of it easily.

The other thing with 2 door cars is to never park next to one. You are asking to get dinged.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yes being only a 2 door car they tend to be larger, but I think it should be possible to get in and out of the car while it's inside the garage.
Total width of the car including mirrors is 2075 mm and the available space inside the garage is 2500 mm.
When parked the car can be positioned to allow more space on the drivers side, and this together with the narrower width across the doors should make entering and exiting with care relatively easy.

8 days and counting since the OP's last visit. :D

Ah, this is what the sun roof is for, or could you not wiggle through the open windows ? This is why we built a double garage, so we would actually have room to get in our cars. Of course if was an SL, you could just leave the top down.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

A friend of mine has shortened his garage so still has the garage door but only 2.5m of garage behind it so loads of storage for bikes etc then a kids room in the rest, works well as the garage is way too small for a car unless you have a Matiz

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And the original poster still hasn't been back since creating this thread on April 4th.
Never mind...I suppose it gave us all something to discuss. :D

chic0821

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 AMG Coupe: Range Rover Sport: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
Correct, think he is trying to say "Look at me I'm getting an AMG GTS" or am I being cynical:rolleyes:
Ron240, that's why I posted this earlier:shock:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And the original poster still hasn't been back since creating this thread on April 4th.
Never mind...I suppose it gave us all something to discuss. :D
That’s because he’s stuck in his garage and can’t open the door to get out…;):p:eek::shock:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
A great many of my neighbours have converted the garage into another room. Especially popular in lockdown... I‘m debating a wider front door so I can get the bikes cars in the house.... :p :cool:
Corrected that again for you BC. :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I had the same issue, ended up with a carcoon. WAF 0%!!! I don't mind how it looks tbh

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
A friend of mine has shortened his garage so still has the garage door but only 2.5m of garage behind it so loads of storage for bikes etc then a kids room in the rest, works well as the garage is way too small for a car unless you have a Matiz
Did just that a few years ago, except the rear part is a store room racked out. Floor raised and insulated, as integral garage floors are lower than house floors. Metal stud partition wall, insulated. Front part is racked both sides, foam interlocking tiles on the floor. Pushbikes, caravan awnings, camping stuff and toolboxes neatly stored.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Have to say when i drove home from work the other early evening i pulled up next to a gorgeous Merc GTS he was going right, me left, when we both pulled away the noise from both our cars was amazing and people who were sitting outside a pub right next to us were gauping at these two cars making this deep rumbling growling noise, ha! Great fun :)

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Standard sizes for garage doors in the UK are an anachronism, there is no minimum size for a garage or door but generally a single garage door is either 7'x 6'6" or 7'x7' which was fine for a Morris Minor but basically useless for today's enormous cars.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom