Window closure

Albee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E300
Does anyone know if the 'range' of the keyfob can be improvedid to open/close windows when leaving car? It seems to vary quite a lot, and not good in sunlight! Any ideas gratefully received!!!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
That particular function is via IR rather than radio frequency that operates the central locking. So by necessity it has to be close range. Also probably a safety thing...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Many have found this function does not work well in the sun, probably due to mixed rays from the the sun.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
As above, it is IR and I was told Friday by MB it is a safety / security thing.

Got a bit annoyed with mine last week when trying to cool the car, and basically had to be within 6ft (and line of sight) of the driver's door.

Had a Golf a few years back, then a 1-Series, and more recently an Octavia, all of which worked 20-30ft away.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Got a bit annoyed with mine last week when trying to cool the car, and basically had to be within 6ft (and line of sight) of the driver's door.

Had a Golf a few years back, then a 1-Series, and more recently an Octavia, all of which worked 20-30ft away.

The RF versions will work from 30ft,,the IR is very close range often just inches away

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

It's good of MB to look after us all :rolleyes:

But you can unlock the car from that far away it's locked again by the time you've walked across the car park to the car. Stupid & a waste of time isn't it :neutral: Maybe MB should ask the people that buy/drive their cars what we would like & not what they want to fit.

My Vauxhall is the same.

Last edited:

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
Hadn't been able to get mine to work when "just trying things" but today when I really needed it it did the business.

On BMW forums you often read about people who come out of the house the next day to find all their windows open and it's just because the button got pressed in their pocket so MB's way doesn't seem so daft.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom