Window Rattle and Radio Interference

lmurthwaite

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLS 500
Hi all, new to the site and love my CLS. I have had an annoying window rattle ever since I got it and today thought I'd tackle it. Couldn't find anything loose anywhere in the door card or around the window mechanism. One thing I have noticed though is when the window is fully wound up the metallic rattle happens when going over small bumps etc. If I crack the window very slightly downward the rattle stops. It seems as if when it is closed there is metallic contact somewhere. Can't seem to get up inside the door when the window is fully closed and there are no access holes up there to poke around in. Next job would be to look down the outside of the door but I dare not tackle the chrome door trim as I'm sure I'd bend it or damage it. Anyone else had this joy with a CLS?

Also have bad interference from the radio when the rear demister is on. Discovered today that the rear window has been replaced so need to get in and check the connections from the aerial to the demister grid. Anyone know how the rear quarter trim panels come off so that I can avoid hacking them about?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The rear window elements are arcing as they have a break somewhere, it could help by fitting a computer grade 20.000mfd cap over the terminals on the side of the glass

OP
L

lmurthwaite

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLS 500
Might this help regarding the rattle?

http://db.tt/dcvEfHdf

Hi, thanks for the link. I have already seen that and I have followed the instruction and tightened up the regulator but still have the rattle. It is only there when the window is fully up where a loose regulator nut would probably be the opposite.

As for the radio interference I just need to get to the connectors which I believe are behind the rear quarter trim panels. Just need to know how they come off.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will try and get that info for you :D:D

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
The rattle is because your window regulator is knackered and needs replacing, had exactly the same symptoms, and I mean exactly, and spent ages trying to find it to no avail at the weekend. Gave up and mentioned it to the dealer when it was in to have a parking sensor sorted the other day, they rang back and said sorted, regulator replaced under warranty.

Regarding the linked PDF for anyone else who thinks they may have the loose bolts, there is no need to remove the door panel to get to them. You just need to wind the window all the way down, remove the speaker cover and speaker and you'll see the front bolt, remove the door pocket liner and you'll see a round plug in the foam sheet, pull that out and the rear bolt is behind it...simples.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom