Window won't close after new battery

Dudley Mark

Reaction score
Hi, after suffering a dead battery, I had to jump start my A209 CLK240, and the car then decided to spontaneously open the passenger back window.
The problem is, it won't shut. The reset procedure was carried out on the other windows, all fine, but nothing will make the window shut. I have checked the fuse, and tried lowering the soft top, only to find that won't work either _ the back part will lift up, but after that nothing.
Anybody got any ideas? It's very cold...
Mark

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When you say jump start exactly what did you do?

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;
Hi, after suffering a dead battery, I had to jump start my A209 CLK240, and the car then decided to spontaneously open the passenger back window.
The problem is, it won't shut. The reset procedure was carried out on the other windows, all fine, but nothing will make the window shut. I have checked the fuse, and tried lowering the soft top, only to find that won't work either _ the back part will lift up, but after that nothing.
Anybody got any ideas? It's very cold...
Mark
When you say reset was this using Star? The opening and closing limits of the windows are set via actuation and memorised by the car. Jump starts wipe this memory.

OP
D

Dudley Mark

Reaction score
When you say reset was this using Star? The opening and closing limits of the windows are set via actuation and memorised by the car. Jump starts wipe this memory.
No, it was taken to a battery dealer recommended on this forum. He connected it to an auxiliary battery while removing the old battery, and then followed the usual reset procedure, holding the window buttons up afterwards etc.
The window decided to open itself before this, when I was trying to start the car to get it to the battery place. There were other maladies, such as the ignition lock refusing to accept the key, but these cleared up after a short while.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You could try disconnecting the battery again for about 5 mins and then do the reset procedure over again... Other than that a Star or any decent scanner should be able to reset the system.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok so when you connected leads to the other car was the other cars engine on or off?

OP
D

Dudley Mark

Reaction score
Ok so when you connected leads to the other car was the other cars engine on or off?
Off when connected them, but running when I started it. It took a very long time to get it going, the window and the other maladies happened some time before I got the car going.

OP
D

Dudley Mark

Reaction score
You could try disconnecting the battery again for about 5 mins and then do the reset procedure over again... Other than that a Star or any decent scanner should be able to reset the system.
Thanks. Looks like I will be visiting the garage at the weekend...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Tale of woe and focus on issues jump starting can cause. I had a V70R which was jump started (I was not with the car), the recovery/breakdown guy connected the leads wrong way around and fried the ECU in the car....all the more galling was that the car was on it’s way to be traded and it interfered with the deal temporarily...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Off when connected them, but running when I started it. It took a very long time to get it going, the window and the other maladies happened some time before I got the car going.
OK thats the correct way to do it and minimises the risk of blowing anything. Leads should also be disconnected with both engines off.
Its not unheard of for incorrect connection method to fry electronics.

gassed up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 C207 350CDI;2010 C207 350CDI sport;2010 SLK300;2004 C209 320;2000 C208 230K;
No, it was taken to a battery dealer recommended on this forum. He connected it to an auxiliary battery while removing the old battery, and then followed the usual reset procedure, holding the window buttons up afterwards etc.
The window decided to open itself before this, when I was trying to start the car to get it to the battery place. There were other maladies, such as the ignition lock refusing to accept the key, but these cleared up after a short while.
The significant event was trying to start the car with a low battery, the subsequent voltage drop from the effort of trying to turn the engine over is what causes the mayhem. If you plug Star in it will come up with a lot of faults concerning implausible values all of which once cleared won't reappear. The windows may eventually correct themselves but you really need a chum with Star.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you really need a chum with Star.
An MB-II or i980 may get these as well if they support the car. A Carsoft would do it too.

OP - whereabouts are you? Is the clue in your username (Dudley)? If so speak nice to Arudge (with a beer or two) and he might be able to reset the errors on his Carsoft.

OP
D

Dudley Mark

Reaction score
An MB-II or i980 may get these as well if they support the car. A Carsoft would do it too.

OP - whereabouts are you? Is the clue in your username (Dudley)? If so speak nice to Arudge (with a beer or two) and he might be able to reset the errors on his Carsoft.
Yes, I'm in Dudley. Is Arudge a fellow forum member?

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
If you think Dudley is bandit country, wait till you get to Cradley!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could be worse, used to have a branch operation in Smethwick!
I managed to work in the posh bit - Halesowen - for a while.

We had a director who weighed about 25 stone who used to come to work in a white shell suit.....

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom