1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows won't close after shutting doors on SL

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by roadster198, Nov 28, 2012.

1. roadster198

roadster198 Guest

Morning,
    As my wife was trying to leave this morning the drivers window (R129 SL320 1998) won't return to the closed position after shutting the door. To be fair it's VERY cold here this morning and it's done exactly the same thing on the passengers door after I tried to see if it would do the same thing which it has.

Is this a common problem on R129 SL's?

any fixes????

Thanks

2. carnut13

carnut13 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
    Does it not close, or just close and bounce back?If the latter hold the switch for a few seconds in the close position to reset it:-D

3. OP
    roadster198

roadster198 Guest

No when opening the door it drops as normal.... However when you close the door it doesn't return to the closed position.

I sat in the car this morning and put the heater on full until it warmed up. Once I'd done this it seemed to be fixed.... :confused:

4. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    You really do have an odd fault there as it is the same on both doors, could it be a very low battery voltage, I cannot see the connection.

Do try I thing when it is behaving like it, start the car up, let it run a few mins then open and close the door to see if it closes

5. OP
    roadster198

roadster198 Guest

Could this perhaps also be causing my issue with my heated rear window as well? (low battery voltage?)

thanks

6. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    It is possible, weak batteries always come to light at the start of the cold weather. If you have a volt mater you could check the voltage before you start the car where it should be 12.5 volts.

We can discount switches and door modules as the fault is on both sides.

I must say that this is a first on here or anywhere I think

7. OP
    roadster198

roadster198 Guest

It would be great if it's the battery :) easily fixed...

My wife does extremely low miles each day in the car 2 miles max really not enough to even get the car warm. Could this be a factor?

8. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    It could be if the battery is on it's way out.

Try leaving the radio on for half an hour. If the car fails to start you probably have your answer. Leave it for another half hour...it should start then...but get a new battery asap....Malcolm had posted recently about some good deals.

I know ECP have 31% off their stuff at the moment. Use code MIDMONTH31 to order online.