Windscreen replacement at dealer on nearly new W205

traffic0703

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C220d amg line premium 2017
I have managed to damage my windscreen by scraping ice off in a rush causing scratches in the glass from grit that was on the screen.

Tried having it polished out by professional company however not happy with end result as I have a score in the glass at my 10'oclock position which is too deep and now I get a slight distortion when light passes through the scored glass. It is not too bad but it is really bugging me as car only a few month old.

I am considering replacing the windscreen at main dealer (which they do in house with own technician) but have to weigh up putting up with the damage I have caused (which is proving difficult) or going ahead with a new screen and it might not be fitted as nicely as the factory has it. Basically worried about such a new car being pulled about and whether any other damage to the fitments may occur in the repair process/new screen going in correctly.

Does anyone have any experience with this at the main dealers?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I don’t know the answer so this is just a thought - how many windscreens does the main dealer’s technician fit in a year compared with an Autoglass guy? Who would do a better job assuming you get an experienced Autoglass tech? Just wondering.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If they have a technician in house then I would assume that he will be at the top of his game. He will have been to MB and trained how to fit screens properly and leave them like they were originally. He will also have access to any new bits n pieces he needs like moulding clips and strips if they are needed.
Also the Mb garage will be responsible for the warranty so no worries there.

OP
T

traffic0703

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks guys - yes both valid points. I will speak to my dealer again today to see if they can reassure me with regards the technician side of things. Also to make sure the screen would be identical as my current one has the Carl Benz signature on it.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I'd be interested in how much main dealer is charging as I have the same windscreen?

Russ

OP
T

traffic0703

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quote is £762.00 fitted

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Oof.

No windscreen tech will fit the screen as well as the plant, which fits them using a pigging great big robot with +/- 0.10mm accuracy...

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Can't you manage to claim on your car insurance and only pay the glass excess (£75 on mine, had the 204 done twice in 3 months a couple of years ago due to stones flying up off the road).

OP
T

traffic0703

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My insurance will only cover Autoglass. If MB used, they would have contributed a small amount however would go down against the car as an incident so not worth it unfortunately. Next time I think I may pay the extra premium and go with MB insurance as maybe they would allow dealer to do the job with MB original glass?

Fortunately the dealer has discounted the bill by £90.

I just have to hope I can't tell the car has been worked on once done.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Though I've heard unfavourable reports of them too :confused:

This is a forum, you always hear the bad, I have used them a couple of times with no problems

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
This is a forum, you always hear the bad, I have used them a couple of times with no problems

It wasn't this forum. ;)

I've used them before too, but that was when a screen was just a piece of glass with no rain or light sensors

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My insurers at the time I had the 204 screen done used AA Windscreens, their man for this area was superb - and I think that is a prime factor. Many years ago I had my 968 coupe screen replaced by Autoglass, their man for that area (Liphook, Hampshire) scratched through the paint and galvanising but hid the damage behind the screen seal - 3 years later screen out again and £300 for repaint! However, my 968 cab had a replacement screen by Autoglass (previous owner so over 6 years ago) and it's fine. Luck of the draw I guess - made me watch the AA man like a hawk though!!

Top Bottom