Windscreen Washer System

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I recently had the windscreen washer bottle replaced on my car and as the weather has been pretty wet recently when it came to topping up I used de-ionised water to top up the system.

I have read somewhere on previous threads that some people use this or distilled water.

I was reading the hand book today and under the relevant section it says ‘Do not use distilled or de-ionised water in the reservoir . Otherwise, the level sensor may be damaged’

It seems strange to me that water that is more purified than tap water would damage a sensor, I would have thought the opposite would be the case.

This thread may be or not useful to those using purified water in cars with a level sensor.

Robin

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I just use 'Corporation Pop' .... It's good enough here to top your battery up. :D
Not sure how it would damage the level sensor though anyway, they're normally a float with a magnetic switch inside.

Sloss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi BlueEFF AMG Sport Plus 5 Door Auto
I recently had the windscreen washer bottle replaced on my car and as the weather has been pretty wet recently when it came to topping up I used de-ionised water to top up the system.

I have read somewhere on previous threads that some people use this or distilled water.

I was reading the hand book today and under the relevant section it says ‘Do not use distilled or de-ionised water in the reservoir . Otherwise, the level sensor may be damaged’

It seems strange to me that water that is more purified than tap water would damage a sensor, I would have thought the opposite would be the case.

This thread may be or not useful to those using purified water in cars with a level sensor.

Robin
It’s the ions in the water that allow current to flow across the sensor so that it can work.

De ionised won’t break it - just stop it sensing!

OP
Headhurts

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
It’s the ions in the water that allow current to flow across the sensor so that it can work.

Many thanks that makes sense I suppose, cars are getting more and more complicated I liked the idea of a float though.

Robin

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance

I'm guessing the sensor would "think" it was empty at any level as it can't sense the water and so the warning would show at all times whether full, empty or anywhere in-between?
If so and the low warning is not showing when it's full, it's sensing the water being there and will warn ok when the water drops to the low level?

OP
Headhurts

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I'm guessing the sensor would "think" it was empty at any level as it can't sense the water and so the warning would show at all times whether full, empty or anywhere in-between?
If so and the low warning is not showing when it's full, it's sensing the water being there and will warn ok when the water drops to the low level?

Bloomin heck, now I’m more confused.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom