Windscreen washer top up on service

JT1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220D SE (W213)
Just had second service, on first service I noted I'd been charged for the above and I knew I'd filled it to the brim the day before and not used it much if at all. I thought "strange" and I also thought "why bother, a simple task that you really have to keep on top of yourself if you want to see where you're going"!

This year, just out of curiosity, I overfilled it just before it was collected, you seriously would not have got a capful in it. I was charged again, £4.26 plus VAT. The labour for that is in the basic service charge, this was for the liquid itself, one unit, which I assume is a litre, whatever. It couldn't have happened unless it was drained or something.

No big deal regards cost, just, unless I'm missing something, the principle and the question "how often is this happening ... every single car"?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Yes, it's an earner for the garage. I've even put in writing "do not fill the screenwash, it's full and I do not want you adding a different fluid and causing a problem". When the bill arrived and it was on there, I refused to pay and referred them to my written instruction - much huffing from MB main dealer but it was removed. Even worse is the amount per litre for engine oil - you can buy genuine MB oil on Ebay from MB Newcastle for about £3-4 per litre, but your local "friendly" MB dealer will charge you £9+ for it!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Some garages are pretty unscrupulous when it comes to services.
Windscreen washer fluid is a favourite little earner. Another less scrupulous practice is charging for replacing the cabin filter and not doing it. You'd be amazed how common this seems to be.
The only way in my view to be sure of getting the work done honestly is to find a good Indy (such as those on here) and stick with them or DIY.

OP
JT1

JT1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220D SE (W213)
They phoned me to say the ad blue was low, they could do it for £72 (60+VAT) or I could do it but would need to be sooner rather than later. Halfords £11 for 10 litres HMMMMMMM let me think about that for two seconds!

(Did it today - thought I'd have plenty left over, nope - only filled it 3/4s, still, good for almost another 6000 miles)

So, going by that, how much labour is already pre-charged for the windscreen wash that didn't need doing/you always do yourself anyway? Same type of job, remove a cap, pour some stuff in, replace cap FFS.

OP
JT1

JT1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220D SE (W213)
OK - now I feel like a Twot!

Manager replied - fluid included in cost (it was itemised separately to be fair - to me)
and if there’s no room they’ll put it in the boot.

Attachments

• 5B40ABD4-A89B-4ED4-87F6-90914D17E323.jpeg
    5B40ABD4-A89B-4ED4-87F6-90914D17E323.jpeg
    656.3 KB · Views: 19

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom