Windscreen wiper.

Bashi

Reaction score
Wiper gets stuck in middle

I have the same problem with my merk the wiper its not going down its stuck halway in middle i did GREASE the machanisem but nothing changed anyone maybe can help me please..................

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, so the blade does not move and is sitting in the middle of the screen

Bashi

Reaction score
It moves but its not going back all the way it gets stuck at (20 to) anyone can help what might be the problem,,,

Thanks

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Dose the blade get stuck on its way over to the passenger side?
Or
Dose the blade get stuck on its way back to the drivers side?
Or
Dose the blade get stuck on both sweeps?

Has the wiper always done this and was there any repair work done to the wiper motor/mechanism recently?

Try this.
Turn on ignition but don’t start engine.
Turn wiper switch on, to position 2, slow speed setting.

When the blade stops, get out of car and try moving the blade by hand, towards the direction it was going when it stopped.
If moving the blade by hand causes it to continue on its journey, then, when it gets stuck again don’t touch it this time, but listen closely and try to hear if the motor is running while the blade is stuck, it will be making a steady humming noise, let us know what happens.

When you say (20 to) I take it you mean it gets stuck about 11o’clock (the center of the windscreen being 12 o’clock)

Dec

Bashi

Reaction score
Hi DEC
The blade gets stuck on its way back to the drivers side and if you trying to push it down it does go with a bit o help, i open it yesterday and i did grease it up but i dont know whats the problem now........
Thanks

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
If you read post #19 on page 2 of this thread, it will apply to you as well.
I suggest you first run the wiper and as soon as it gets stuck again, immediately remove the ignition keys and keep them in your pocket (there will be no power going to motor when keys are out of ignition )and proceed to remove the trim below the windscreen to gain access to the motor.

Remove the 7 torx screws and lever the motor gearbox lid off, careful of the electronics under the lid, and inspect the nylon teeth that are in contact with the worm drive for signs of damage.

Dec

attachment.php

Below teeth that are in good condition.
attachment.php

Below teeth that are in very bad condition, yours will not be as bad as this example, the damage that you are looking for will amount to only about 5 or 6 teeth.
attachment.php

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The last one we had dec it was the bolt loose on the motor shaft, the mechanism could be not bolted down tight enough and its moving on the motor shaft just a touch

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
That’s a possibility alright but for a practical approach if Bashi checks the motor gearbox first as there will be no need to remove the mechanism, if the teeth and worm drive prove to be as good as in second picture then it must be the nut that needs tightening that you refer to.

My money is on the gears teeth damage, as the blade seems to be stopping in the same place every time and only on the return sweep.

Dec

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
That’s the nuts, 1 or 2, in case Bashi needs to go that far.

Dec

attachment.php

attachment.php

clutchnut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
202 c180 1996
wiper hitting a posts

a friend has a 202 c180. the wiper blade hits the a posts. on closer inspection the shaft (that operates the pumping motion of the wiper arm) is spinning inside the plastic cog. mercedes do not supply this as a spare, only the whole assembly for £382. is there anybody outthere who supplies these as an individual (new) part. according to the dealer this a common problem, but not a fault, "mercedes owners just get in thier cars and expect these things to work"! i have been offered used ones from £70, although seems pointless.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
"mercedes owners just get in thier cars and expect these things to work"… If Mercedes dealers lubricated the wiper mechanism under the “turtle shell” cover every time the car is serviced then the problem would be a lot less common, the don’t, preferring instead to let it fail so the can sell a new one for £382 plus fitting.

A used one is a good bet but insist on a guarantee that it is ok, the plastic cogis the only part of the mechanism, excluding the motor or ball joint, that can fail.

Alternatively there are other ways of fixing yourself, read all of this thread HERE

Dec

clutchnut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
202 c180 1996
cheers for the advice, i have already sent the gear off to be drilled and pinned. i was hoping someone had been able to soure new ones, being a common fault i thought someone might try to cash in on it. someone makes them for mercedes, i am surprised that they haven't found thier way onto the market

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The problem is that the gear slips on its shaft, even if you had a new gear it would still have to be riveted on to the old shaft or if you had a new gear already fixed to a new shaft then the old shaft would need to be removed to make way for the new one and then riveted in place, all very labor/machinery intensive.

The route you are taking is much cheaper and simpler or indeed the £70 replacement much handier, if you can get one in good condition.

Dec

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Thanks for the feedback, be sure to lubricate the hub mechanism two or three times a year, its only a 5 minute job, very important.

Dec

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
is the 202 mechanism the same as a 210 mechanism regarding lubrication? also do the 203 mechanisms also need lubricated?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Yes, the 202 is similar to 210, don’t know anything about the 203, others may know more and be able to advice.

Dec

kc_hix

Reaction score
Sorry to "hi-jack" this tread so to speak, but, I was driving home last night in the poring rain and the little piece of plastic between the "turtle shell" and the main wiper blade decided to find its own way home on the M5/M4 interchange (so no chance of stopping to try and find it).

Does anyone know where I can get hold of this part - again its just the little cover between the turtle shell and the main wiper blade (if that makes sense). My car is a W202 btw!

Thanks again in advance!

KC

Last edited:

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It makes sence KC, it should cost very little from an MB dealer or a scrap yard.

Dec

kc_hix

Reaction score
Thanks Dec, I'll have a look this weekend at a few scrappies :)

kc

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom