Windscreen wipers wearing out quikly

tristand

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 CDI (C207) 2009
Hi,

I get very little use out of my windscreen wiper before they start vibrating across the glass when in use. As a result the use sticker turns yellow very soon.

I use the MB wipers for the car(E Coupe) same wipers as the C-Class.

I there a possibility that wiper arms need adjusting, is this a common problem?

Thanks,

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Never heard of this before. I'm not aware that wiper arms are even adjustable..?

My wipers, on every car I've ever had, last for exactly one winter regardless of any use through the summer. Then they start going streaky.

Costco Michelin wiper blades aero type £5.00/ea for the win.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Blimey, it's worth joining Costco just for that!

Tristand, maybe give your screen a good clean with meths, to remove all grease, run your fingertips over it all. Are there any stuck on lumpy deposits, use 000 grade wire wool to remove them.
If there are any nicks in screen they can tear rubber, your insurance will prob do free chip repair.

Once screen clean n smooth use polish like autoglym glass polish, then rainX it.

In this wet weather lots of spray has grease/oil thrown up off the road, so good clean n polish once a month on the screen really helps.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I think the use sticker does change colour quickly anyway - I guess to encourage people to buy new wipers.

Do you clean the screen? I use Autoglym Car Glass Polish. Wipers have been on my car at least 4yrs, maybe longer. I do have a new pair in the garage but haven't felt the need to fit them yet, although they were a bit iffy on a frosty morning last week, I guess as they've gone stiff.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Indeed it is. I got all front wiper blades for all of my cars for £29.94; basic membership is £26. I reckon 6 Micheline aero blades would set you back £50-60 anywhere else you go for them?

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
The sticker doesn't change colour because the wipers are actually worn out or juddering. It's UV light sensitive and changes colour regardless of the state of the rubber which helps stealers to make more money

If/when wipers judder in one direction only it's usually because some monkey bent the arms* when changing the blades. Other possibilities include weak/semi seized springs that messes with the pressure applied and, as said, a screen that needs cleaning properly although that usually results in smearing, squeaking and/or missed areas rather than juddering IME... a clay bar is my preferred method followed by whatever glass cleaner etc. Personally i'd only ever use rain-x or any other hydrophobic coating on side glass as IME when you aren't travelling fast enough for it do its thing using wipers = smearing

* the wiper blade should be perpendicular to the screen so it flexes back and forth easily to drag water off the glass. If the arm's been twisted the blade ends up trying to push in one direction instead of the tip 'flipping over' so it judders. MB would probably want to fit new arms, gently twisting them to correct the angle works just as well

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
The rubbers start to harden and "set" in the direction or last sweep, so when they are used it like a blade sticking in rather than smoothing over if you see what I mean.
Monkeys bending arms??? Only in a safari park. :D

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
I think the use sticker does change colour quickly anyway - I guess to encourage people to buy new wipers.

Do you clean the screen? I use Autoglym Car Glass Polish. Wipers have been on my car at least 4yrs, maybe longer. I do have a new pair in the garage but haven't felt the need to fit them yet, although they were a bit iffy on a frosty morning last week, I guess as they've gone stiff.

When you mention the "Use Sticker" is this the small yellow dot that's on both blades ?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
When you mention the "Use Sticker" is this the small yellow dot that's on both blades ?

Yes - I just followed the phrase used by the OP.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
What colour is it when they are new then ?

black. you remove a sticker from over the dot and it changes with UV rays etc to yellow. i left the sticker on one once and the area of the 'dot' that wasnt covered went yellow whilst the remainder stayed black.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom