Winter Tyres E220 Estate

Alexn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Estate '15
Hi All,

I got an E220 Estate a couple of month ago, and I wanted to buy tyres on blackcircle, although each time put my plates in I m offered with
245/45r 17 w 95 , while the ones (summer) I currently have are 225/50 r17 94y and I was wondering

A) are those the original one ?
B) any recommended tyres for winter for this car ?
C) should I use the same 225 or should I buy new rims for 245 ?

Thanks.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Ref sizes, I'd double check your handbook and also the info placard (either on fuel filler cap or on driver's door pillar).

If you've got 245/45 R17 then I can recommend Avon Ice Touring ST - ran them on my CLS and they were very good. Not noisy, good wear rate, and were faultless in heavy winter rain & slush, standing water, etc.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
For winter use narrow is better....as mentioned by fronstep why not go all season?
Michelin cross climates are excellent

OP
A

Alexn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Estate '15
For winter use narrow is better....as mentioned by fronstep why not go all season?
Michelin cross climates are excellent

I am often driving Glasgow Dundee, and Dundee may have snow this year (based on the temperature we've had in the last couple of weeks) so I thought i'd go with full snow tyres.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Probably wise...I have Dunlop Wintersport 3D on my SL and my Audi A6 Avant
That's primarily as I couldn't get the cross climates in the sizes for those cars, or I would have gotten them.
I'm told most of the cars seen around the French alps are shod with cross climates year round so must be ok

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Full snow to me means a seperate set of narrower wheels.

I have Michelin cross climates,
but since i have had them they haven't seen a drop of snow so I couldn't tell you how they cope.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Full snow to me means a seperate set of narrower wheels.

I have Michelin cross climates,
but since i have had them they haven't seen a drop of snow so I couldn't tell you how they cope.

I'm guessing they would be very good in rain or standing surface water though, which tends to be more the issue in the UK?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Interesting quote from Continental Tyres:

Wide winter tires also offer advantages on typically wintry road surfaces. On compacted snow surfaces in particular, they offer more space to form sipe edges, fill deeper tire tread grooves with snow, and increase friction between the rubber and snow. The handling properties of a car fitted with wider winter tires are also enhanced on compacted snow surfaces............."

So, do you fit wider or narrower tyres in winter?

Umble

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Interesting quote from Continental Tyres:

Wide winter tires also offer advantages on typically wintry road surfaces. On compacted snow surfaces in particular, they offer more space to form sipe edges, fill deeper tire tread grooves with snow, and increase friction between the rubber and snow. The handling properties of a car fitted with wider winter tires are also enhanced on compacted snow surfaces............."

So, do you fit wider or narrower tyres in winter?

Umble

A good point indeed, this article;

Summary

ADAC
Therefore, ADAC says that you should install the narrowest tyres allowed by your car's specification.They also stress, that in crisis wintertime situations, a narrow tyre will always perform far better than a wider one.

Continental
On the other hand, Continental expects the driving culture to change over the next few years, so that drivers will start switching to wider winter tyres.If this wasn’t enough, Continental officially encourages drivers to install winter tyres that are as wide as the summer ones.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/tyre-widths-narrow-or-wide-winter-tyres

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
ADAC says that you should install the narrowest tyres allowed by your car's specification.They also stress, that in crisis wintertime situations, a narrow tyre will always perform far better than a wider one.

Look at the WRC snow tyres, staggeringly narrow (although they do have studs in)

OP
A

Alexn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Estate '15
There is the old story of the 2cv citroen being able to go anywhere when snowing due to its narrow tyres. I am still not sure which ones are the best though for the e220.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I'm not suprised one says narrow another says not :confused:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I'm not suprised one says narrow another says not :confused:

I can understand the wide thing on compacted snow which is very hard so a larger contact patch would give more grip.

Maybe it is tyre tech progress and cars having bigger tyres these days so maybe they have been forced into it

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Maybe its about more tyre getting more friction .

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Ask a camel. Wide is better?
It must depend on the condition of the terrain.

As above, I also had a 2cv many years ago and yes, it was good in snow. Part of this was due to the fact that its undersides were completely smooth and it rode high, so it didn't get dragged to a stop by snow underneath. I also run a Panda - now with overwide winters - and it is excellent in the snow. I put that down partly to its high-riding stance.

Umble

Last edited:

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Yes Panda's are very good in the snow. I put that down to the four legs with big furry feet and grippy claws at the end.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom