Winter Tyres WTF Is That All About?

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
I noticed of late a growing number of posts regarding winter tyre choice/size/wheel etc, OK if you live in the Alpine regions of the European ski resorts I understand the need for snow biting tread with iron spikes for permafrost conditions, but here in the UK why would you bother, if we're lucky we might get two inches of snow every 10 years for a few days these days councils have got their act together the salt trucks are out in force, the ice and snow is gone in a few hours.

I know that in certain parts of Europe it is a requirement of law that they change to winter spec rubber, but here in the UK with all our global warming who needs them?

Answers on a postcard please :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I noticed of late a growing number of posts regarding winter tyre choice/size/wheel etc, OK if you live in the Alpine regions of the European ski resorts I understand the need for snow biting tread with iron spikes for permafrost conditions, but here in the UK why would you bother, if we're lucky we might get two inches of snow every 10 years for a few days these days councils have got their act together the salt trucks are out in force, the ice and snow is gone in a few hours.

I know that in certain parts of Europe it is a requirement of law that they change to winter spec rubber, but here in the UK with all our global warming who needs them?

There's a difference between a winter tyre & a spiked tyre for use on ice :)
I've never used winter tyres, but those that do, swear by them. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Where I am with the max of 1" of snow every 10 years is not a problem, I think in general people are getting more safety conscious and want to arrive safely with out damage, but this does not stop those without winter tyres from sliding into you.

One does not have to travel that far North to see chaos in the snow.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
never used them in my life. once took a fiesta out, complete with fat tyres, in snow, got into snow so deep that it started to raise the car in the suspension. as a result i got stuck and had to start digging!

in the modern era of traction control etc, it shouldnt be too much of an issue anyhow!

I have some snow socks in case of emergency, and some weight in the boot always helps with RWD. other than that, i really cant see the point. UNLESS you have huge rear tyres etc (mine are only 195's) like on the AMG rims

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Where I think in general people are getting more safety conscious and want to arrive safely with out damage

OR they get into the misguided belief that because they have 'snow' tyres on, they dont need to slow down in the snow!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My V70R is quite good in the snow, but when stuck I have never found any difference with the traction control turn off or on :(

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I guess if you have to use your car in the winter, perhaps for work, or appointments etc. ,you'd consider winter tyres.

In the snow, I don't use my car at all - no winter tyres needed.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more

The subject gets raised every year.

Usually starts around late August ;)

OP
E

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
Being a life long member of the old farts cynic club, I did wonder if it was another marketing ploy to sell something that's not really needed, a tad similar to cellphones to young people who would shrivel up and expire if their cellphones were surgically removed from the palm of their hand (my grandchildren come to mind)I ban the use of cellphones when they come to visit, strange that they don't visit often:lol:

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Never needed winter tyres in "Leafy Surrey" :) - if I get snowed in I don't go out - or just get a taxi ;) - cheaper than a set of winter tyres ;);)

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I used to think that driving skill and traction control would be sufficient, I realise with hindsight that I was a misguided fool. I fitted winter tyres to our VW 3 years ago because where we lived in Halifax unless you had a real 4x4 you couldn't move for over a week in 2010. I've driven in Canadian winters for years and marvelled at the available traction, the tyres make such a difference it's unbelievable. I would recommend that anyone tries them and you'll no doubt be a convert.

Last year we had some very interesting weather, the 4x4's near us were sliding all over the place on regular tyres, the VW (lots of power and weight) went along without sliding on winter tyres. When the snow got bad it still worked well but the Land Rover was the only thing that was moving when it really came down...

2wf1mv9.jpg

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Oh dear, yet another winter tyre thread from people who have never used them, never needed them, yet know they are a waste of time!

On the plus side, there are less and less of you every year as more people discover how good they really are.:p

Russ

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I just received the below in an email

Why winter tyres? Safety first!

Winter tyres are made from a softer rubber mixture, which is why they have a clear advantage to summer tyres even on dry roads once temperatures drop below 7°Celsius. Manufacturers recommend keeping the temperature in mind rather than waiting for the first snow-fall to change your tyres.

Advantages of winter tyres:

Improved grip, thanks to the rubber mix
Improved protection against aquaplaning by draining water and slush quickly
Shorter braking distances
Improved acceleration

Don't forget: ADAC recommends a minimum thread depth of 4 mm for winter tyres. A winter tyre without a sufficient thread depth will perform much worse on mud and snow, and particularly when it comes to aquaplaning.

The only issue I had with the VW and Land Rover last winter was trying to get around the cars that couldn't move because they weren't prepared for the conditions. I towed out 9 vehicles (including 4x4's) with the Land Rover because they couldn't get any traction.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
The only issue I had with the VW and Land Rover last winter was trying to get around the cars that couldn't move because they weren't prepared for the conditions. I towed out 9 vehicles (including 4x4's) with the Land Rover because they couldn't get any traction.

can I have your phone number just in case please ;)?

mark.s

MBO Forum Staff - CLS 320 (W219)
MBO Ad Sales & Partnerships
Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI remapped (W219)
Beccy and I get loads of calls from MBO members asking about winter tyres, I mean "Cold Weather Tyres" CWT as they are known, and it does seem to be a growing number that are getting them. It does however seem a mammoth task to store just the tyres to then get them fitted on / off, and many seem to get 4 x wheels + CWT as well so its easier.

Bit of a price tag for these mind.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
can I have your phone number just in case please ;)?
I went past your place last week, I won't charge much over £1 a mile... :p

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom