Wiring for heated seats on w204

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
I want to wire in my heated seats. The wiring diagram shows the cables going to the rear SAM but it isn't clear where it connects to it (the only designation is a number 71). Oddly, the fuse is located in the front SAM. I know that the front SAM (and ign etc) are all involved but it seems odd.

Has anyone else wired in heated seats?

PS Will be getting an autoelectrician to do it but I like to understand what's going on:cool:

OP
J

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
Can anyone help?

I've worked out the wiring for the heated seats and will be getting a leckie to connect up. The wiring diagram shows the wires from the seats going to a terminal 71 (or 7I) in the rear SAM. Is it going to be straightforward for the leckie to make these connections to the rear SAM? None of the leckies (or merc engineers) I've spoken to seem to know much about it....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All I can say is the any spades or terminals that fit in the connector blocks are sold be MB so the wires can be fitted to the existing block connector

OP
J

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
Thanks

Thanks for that - I just wanted to be sure that it's going to be a straightforward connector to the terminals and that the leckie will be able to identify the appropriate connecting block. Car is still under warranty so could do without any mishaps.....

OP
J

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
cable size?

One final (hopefully) question on this. The wiring diagram shows a cable size of 1.5 which I'm assuming is 1.5mm2 equating to approx 13amp? I can use either 17amp or 30amp (2.5mm2) cable. Are both equally suitable? Is using the 30amp a safer option or will it cause some kind of voltage drop or something?

Thanks in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The biggest problem is fitting the connectors to an over sized cable.

You should really get to the rear SAM and take a look to see if the pins that you need to plug into are on their own socket or part of a big multi block connector

OP
J

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
Thanks - is accessing the rear of the rear sam a job for a DIYer or am I best leaving that to the professionals - I believe there's a potential problem with static.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Modern version are much more robust, as these things are all time live disconnecting the battery makes it fool proof :D

OP
J

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
Thanks - sounds as if you know what you're talking about. Will disconnecting the battery affect anything eg sat nav, command music system memory etc?

I've looked at the cable sizes and the 30amp doesn't seem much larger than the 17 amp with respect to the core size so I'm tempted to use that. I may have to connect to the existing cables on the connector under the seat using solder and shrink wrap so I guess size shouldn't be a factor at that end. If the leckie says the cable's too big when he connects up to the SAM I'll just have to rewire it.

OP
J

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
correction

Correction - now I've stripped it back the 30amp will be too big so I'll use the 17amp and leave the SAM removal to the experts. What about using solder joint and heat shrink to connect the wires under the seat tho?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing wrong with heat shrink and a good soldered joint :D

OP
J

jonnyp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204/2010/1800
Job done

Took my car to a place called Autologics in Knutsford this afternoon and it took them about an hour to connect up the wires I'd installed to the rear SAM and then program the heated seats. The seats are SUPERB and I can highly recommend Autologics. They have a mobile service and cover a good part of the country apparantly.

Thanks to all who helped along the way.....:D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom