WIS Service Details - Mileage Counter

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Hi all

At my last service the mileage counter was set to 12k. Now I thought that was supposed to be for cheap oil and it was higher for A grade? I queried it with the service manager but got what I think was total bull back.

Does anyone have the details of the service counter set-up etc? What it should be set to etc after a service. It is for a CLK270cdi with the 2year\variable mileage schedule.

Thanks

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The dealers do this many time and and they did it to me, they have moved you over to the yearly service (2007), go back and ask them to put it back the way it was

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The dealers do this many time and and they did it to me, they have moved you over to the yearly service (2007), go back and ask them to put it back the way it was

The problem is, he swears blind it is correct - I was hoping to get some info to back up my thoughts.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is not my best subject, member Rory knows it all well.

Pre 2006 cars were on a time / mileage thing, some thing like 15k miles or 18months/2years what ever came up first. It was because of the low mileage that I bought the SL500. On the next service in 2007 MB did the same thing and changed it to annual only.

I might have something in a 2006 WIS and I can check later

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
As your car is a 2004, so before model refinement in 2005, this "extension" of service interval can only be done using STAR to select and confirm that oil grade 229.5 has been used.

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there anywhere that carries that info that I can point him to\print out and show him?

Dave

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
You're supposed to (at least on my car) be able to change the oil type in the cluster and that should change the service reset mileage. However I've played around with mine and it doesn't seem to make any difference - it always resets to 13,000 miles and it counts down at approx 2/3 of the mileage driven.

I can't recall hearing of one resetting to 12K miles - people often complain of the reset being to 9K.

There is an old document about this but it's still all a bit vague. It talks about using fleece filters but they're never used in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
You're supposed to (at least on my car) be able to change the oil type in the cluster and that .....

I couldn't find anywhere with the option on my cluster display. :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do have all of the original service documents, they all deal with the mileage rather than time and there are many ways to re set the service, we did not have the 5 version oil back then. Wis talks of the higher mileages and far beyond 13k miles.

OP
Wirral_guy

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do have all of the original service documents, they all deal with the mileage rather than time and there are many ways to re set the service, we did not have the 5 version oil back then. Wis talks of the higher mileages and far beyond 13k miles.

Previous service intervals have stretched to 17-18,000 (mostly Mway miles) but this time it started at 12 and just seems to count down. Something is different but it all seems a bit vague.

Dave

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Previous service intervals have stretched to 17-18,000 (mostly Mway miles) but this time it started at 12 and just seems to count down. Something is different but it all seems a bit vague.

Dave

I routinely did 18k between services in my 270cdi. The service indicator reset to 12-13k and would start counting down but as the miles driven went up so did the miles to next service. It may take a some miles for it to be noticeable.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I couldn't find anywhere with the option on my cluster display. :confused:

If it's there (it might not be), you have to go into the service reset menu. Unless you're familiar with it, or you're not bothered about it, then I don't suggest you do that as you might mess up the service interval.

From http://www.mbguru.com/engine-transmission/79-how-reset-service-indicators.html :

W164 ML, W164 GL, W251 R Class reset service indicator
This applies to the W164 ML and GL class and the W251 R class

a) Turn ignition key to '1'
b) Press the lower system selection button (left hand edge of steering wheel) repeatedly until you have the Basic display with mileage or temperature in the display
c) Press the odometer reset button briefly 3 times and you see the voltage display on the cluster and a ping is heard
d) use the scroll down arrow button until you see the 'Service menu'
e) Use +/- buttons to select the menu item CONFIRMATION then press the lower system selection button to confirm ("Complete service" is highlighted in dispay)
f) Confirm full service by pressing lower system selection button
g) Press top system selection button until you get back to Service menu
h) Use +/- buttons to select the 'Special Work' menu and Press the lower system selection button to confirm
i) Use +/- buttons to select Service 3 & press lower system selection button to confirm
j) Use +/- buttons to select the oil grade you used & press lower system selection button to confirm (nb, where only 1 grade of oil is allowed, there wont be a selection available)
k) repeatedly press lower system selection button until out of service mode

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If it's there (it might not be), you have to go into the service reset menu. Unless you're familiar with it, or you're not bothered about it, then I don't suggest you do that as you might mess up the service interval. .....

Thanks for the link Rory, but it's from that particular link I discovered how to rest it at he beginning of the year .... & I did bu66er up the interval :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
As I type, my car is at a local independent for another oil change & some other bits & pieces doing. ;) I'll leave him to sort it via Star ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom