1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wont start

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by shaper33, Dec 31, 2010.

1. shaper33

shaper33 Guest

hello all, hopefully some one can help me , i have a year 2000 c320, i took the car to the local shopping centre and have driven the car as normal no problem,but when we got into the car to go home we could access the car with the key fob and lock the car but when i put the fob into the ignition, all i could hear is a feint clicking noise, car wont do anything else.wont turn any further than that? is it the fob/ or immoboliser in the fob? do i need to buy another key? or replace batteries, we had the car recovered, spare key is in london with my parent who are now away untill mid jan! please advise
    and happy new year!

2. ELGRINGO

ELGRINGO Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
    Hi could be flat battery or starter fault needs further investigation. sounds like noise from starter solenoid.

3. OP
    shaper33

shaper33 Guest

hey thanks for the info, just wanted to ask how would i get that checked out without getting taken for a ride? and also i cant move the car , not sure what a starter solenoid is?
    thanks

4. Boogs

Boogs Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 (60) C200 Exec SE Est 2010(60) Lotus Evora Fully Loaded
    The easiest way to explain it is that the starter solenoid opens the circuit to the much higher power required by the starter motor. It takes little power to operate the solonoid (hence it works) but much more to run the starter motor (hence it doesn't).

On older cars this is almost always an indicator that the battery is flat. I am fairly new to MB and my W208 battery has run flat twice, both times with the result that you cannot even open the car, ie Electrics totally dead.

I have a suspicion that on MB when the battery goes below a certain level the electrics just shut down (I was funnily enough about to post this query) and this is the only thing that would stop me putting money on your issue being a flat battery. Don't let the fact that it started in the morning but not later fool you. The days of batteries only dying overnight are long gone. We have had one die when the car was actually running and another that started the car when it was covered in frost but then refused to start when I stopped 10 mins later to fill up with petrol.

If it were me I'd either buy a new battery and try it or get a charger and try to recharge the existing one. If you do the latter and it works I'd still replace the battery because it will happen again.

If you use a charger don't forget to disconnect the battery from the car first.

5. OP
    shaper33

shaper33 Guest

hey mate
    thank you for the explanation , its makes sense to me now, i will pop over to halfords and buy a charger first, and charge the battery for a whole 24 hrs then if that works i will buy a new battery for the car, i hope thats all it is,
    it makes sense though i have never had a key fob or starting problem before , but i guess if the battery goes it will just go nowadays, will try and let you know how i get on.
    best regards and happy new year!

6. Alex M Grieve

Alex M Grieve Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
    As for Boogs

sounds like a failed battery (car, not key fob).

In the good old days a battery would give warning of impending doom by gradually failing. Nowadays they can take you on the first part of your journey, then just fail and refuse to go further. If you jump start it (using jump leads from another car for example), it will allow you to drive to find assistance, but don't switch off!

It will be interesting to hear how you get on.

7. OP
    shaper33

shaper33 Guest

hey all,
    well after charging the battery to 100% , the car is no different, shame that i was really hoping it was just a flat battery, i keep hearing some feint clicking noise from behind the key/ignition barrel. i have a feeling the next step is to go to mercedes and order a new key fob as that is my next option,as it doesnt sound like the fob is connecting to the dash, i have never had any electrical or starting problems before so i am hoping its not the EIS unit(other threads mention this),will try the 90 mins in the dash tomorrow morning to see if the fob will reconnect to the immoboliser.if any there is anyone with advise please let me know kind regards