Would my CL500 have a fuse socket for the rear cigar lighter?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
odd question.
The Fuse Diagram for the CL500 C216 2009 and also labelled for the S Class , says I have a fuse box behind the the rear armrest.
It clearly shows a 15A fuse for the “rear compartment cigar lighter”. But I definitely dont have a rear cigar lighter!
I assume they use the same wiring harness for the CL and the S Class.
Question is would I still have an empty slot?
And if so can I just put in a 2A piggy back fuse with a wire like this.
Or would it throw an error code i.e. ‘you are a CL not an S Class so I see a 1A drain that should not be there’. Ergo how clever is the dash warning message system.
34254038-BCD3-402E-9D7D-D70CA5D1A188.jpeg
Also can I assume, that there would be wiring behind that slot, that it is definitely capable of handling the 15A rated socket (normally found in the S Class derivative) or could there even be no wiring behind the fuse slot?

Appreciate people will say well just open it and look.
But for the life of me I cannot see how one would lift up the top. The CL trim is beautifully tight. Great so no squeaks and creaks in normal driving.
Not so good for the novice trying to hack it about.
I would prefer not to be yanking trim apart, possibly the wrong way when those claws a freezing cold and brittle ... outside job :(
And also it would not answer my question about the wiring behind the slot in the fuse box.

Hope someone might know to save me the trouble.

Alternatively as there is a Power socket in the boot for a cooler. Is there an easy way to get a 3mm diam wire from the boot to the rear parcel shelf area.
Looks like a boot liner out, seats out job and then see!!

I guess there also might be a very well sealed firewall between the boot / petrol tank area and the cabin?

Just looking for the easy option, nervous as I remember seeing my new SL in bits when we put in an additional subwoofer. Oodles of bits of trim and clips, and seats and console covers, and sound proofing all over the shop floor. Defo dont want to go there just to power a poxy rear dash cam LOL.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
a little investigation with a test light should resolve that. and yr handbook,if correct for the car will enlighten you as to the std fuse locations ,often in more than 1 or 2 places these days

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I paid £60 for a dashcam install and didn’t worry about it.

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
Can't help with the CL500 but having spent a couple of hours on Friday hard wiring in my cam on the SL500, I discovered that in most cases, there was no fuse base and therefore no way to use the fuse locations indicated as spare. My next plan was to piggyback on a fuse in the rear fuse box but could not find a switched one. Plan C involved running a supply from one of the front fuse boxes, following the route of the bonnet release cable. I piggybacked off of a fuse to the lights which was switched, didn't produce any warnings on the dash and seemed a safer option than anything with a three letter acronym.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
yr sorted then,grand.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
a little investigation with a test light should resolve that. and yr handbook,if correct for the car will enlighten you as to the std fuse locations ,often in more than 1 or 2 places these days
yr sorted then,grand.

Thsnks, Yes the manual and the seperate Fuse chart shows 3 fuse boxes. 2 in the engine bay and one behind the rear armrest. The latter is well hidden / covered :).

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Can't help with the CL500 but having spent a couple of hours on Friday hard wiring in my cam on the SL500, I discovered that in most cases, there was no fuse base and therefore no way to use the fuse locations indicated as spare. My next plan was to piggyback on a fuse in the rear fuse box but could not find a switched one. Plan C involved running a supply from one of the front fuse boxes, following the route of the bonnet release cable. I piggybacked off of a fuse to the lights which was switched, didn't produce any warnings on the dash and seemed a safer option than anything with a three letter acronym.

Thanks so much, that was my fear, that I would find nothing behind the empty slots.
The front cigar lighter fuse is in the engine bay.
Like your idea of looking for the bonnet release cable route :)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom