Would you buy a Stolen/Recovered Car?

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 (13) E350 Coupe (09)
Reason I ask, I'm still looking for my E350 but while perusing eBay came across an C250 Coupe, 11 plate with 12k on the clock for just under £18k. Considering the cheapest ones I've seen before this were £21k+ I was naturally interested.

Apparently the car was stolen with keys and the insurance paid out before it was recovered hence it being for sale. Will obviously do VIN number checks and full HPI if I go for it but just interested in the opinions of others...for once :lol:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
nope i confess i wouldnt.. dont know whats been changed etc... engine parts stolen/replaced with old ones etc.. i doubt the insurer checks that out...

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Biggest problem you may have is with warranty..if it still has any Manufacturer warranty on it, it will flag up on the Dealers site as soon as the reg or chassis no. is used, and they will wash their hands off it.
Other than that no real issues, well it will have had the living daylights driven out of it..possibly..so no real difference from some of our members cars on here...

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140
Yes, I would. Just make sure the original keys are removed from the car's system.

OP
obduro

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think there's one original key with it, so who do I go to to get them changed? I wanted to get a spare anyway so may as well reset the whole system right? What's the damage?

OP
obduro

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Biggest problem you may have is with warranty..if it still has any Manufacturer warranty on it, it will flag up on the Dealers site as soon as the reg or chassis no. is used, and they will wash their hands off it.

Didn't realise the warranty no longer applied, overlooked that. Thanks!

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Yes but would have to be cheaper than that.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
knee jerk reaction is no, but when you think of it I suppose most stolen cars are driven carefully to avoid being pulled, so maybe yes.

A bit like part worn tyres - gut instinct says no, but then again unless you buy a car brand new that's just what you're using - same with hire cars too.

I've bought a write off before - was w/o based on repair cost & not structurally damaged at all, just a few panels - got it fixed - had it for years no problem

I'd have a close look for sure, but as said before budget £500 for two new keys getting the original disabled and the price has to be negotiable

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think there's one original key with it, so who do I go to to get them changed? I wanted to get a spare anyway so may as well reset the whole system right? What's the damage?

The stolen/missing keys are 'un-coded' when the new key is coded to the car. I believe a new coded up key from MB is in the region of £200

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
My 210 was a stolen recovered car. No problems at all and as it wasn't damaged was not recorded. I didn't have any warranty problems either.

It was cheap enough that I wasn't bothered by its status.

Last edited:

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Having had 2 cars stolen and seen the results pre insurance repairs, Im not sure Id have one myself, however, I used to work with a bloke who swore blind it was the best way to drive premium cars. To be fair, I drove a golf, he was in a Porsche Boxter or Merc SLK, he used to repair them and sell on.. I know who felt better on the commute to work (wasnt me).
I guess you have to buy wisely, ideally one with only panel damage or recoved from a shipping container?
Might be worth reading through this too http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Insurance_Write_Off_Categories

N

npuk

My 210 was a stolen recovered car. No problems at all and as it wasn't damaged was not recorded. I didn't have any warranty problems either.

The post on the first page that said the manufacturers warranty is invalid is not correct. This would only be if it was declared a write off and not to be but back on the road i.e. Cat B or higher.

If it was me if it was stolen, recovered and repaired I would want to see pictures of the damage etc before repair. If it was stolen and recovered no damage then I would consider it. Many of these vehicles now days are stolen with keys so dont sustain much if any damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
slightly off topic, but how safe are these cars from being stolen?

no keys on a c class. is that asking for grief?

OP
obduro

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The post on the first page that said the manufacturers warranty is invalid is not correct. This would only be if it was declared a write off and not to be but back on the road i.e. Cat B or higher.

If it was me if it was stolen, recovered and repaired I would want to see pictures of the damage etc before repair. If it was stolen and recovered no damage then I would consider it. Many of these vehicles now days are stolen with keys so dont sustain much if any damage.

The guy says there was no damage to the car whatsoever, apparently it's not marked as cat c or d, it just says its stolen/recovered on the HPI report.

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Until recently most hpi check did not tell you if stolen recovered. Only my car check did. I think now others also tell you. But previous many would have had stolen recovered without knowing it! If not other recorded damage not a big deal. But again bare in mind point about resale. Personally I would normally not buy a car of this type to save a couple of grand. False economy as you will lose that when you sell. And more a hassle to explain to people when selling.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It looks to be a good straight car , so if the price is keen then by all means go for it. It will probably give you many years of trouble free motoring.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is a stolen recover CL63 going cheap with no damage, I keep thinking:D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom