Oil filter
Seal plus waste
Pollen filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Brake fluid.

Just copied from the bill.

That’s a very good price
Think I payed £340 but didn’t get the fuel filter (I think )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
Oil MB 229.51
Oil filter
Seal plus waste
Pollen filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Brake fluid.

If the above is a B service
Is it just oil and filter on A service ?

Rob.T

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 A180 Sport CDI Auto
If the above is a B service
Is it just oil and filter on A service ?

Im not sure but someone here will let you know.

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
Im not sure but someone here will let you know.

Surly there can’t be anything else to change in 12 months

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
The trick with MB, BMW et all is that many required actions aren't A or B service but additional work which may or may not coincide.

60K service is a big one in many cars.

I use a brake fluid tester to determine fluid change requirements. Over 2% it gets changed irrespective of mileage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The trick with MB, BMW et all is that many required actions aren't A or B service but additional work which may or may not coincide.

60K service is a big one in many cars.

I use a brake fluid tester to determine fluid change requirements. Over 2% it gets changed irrespective of mileage.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

How accurate is your tester?

I recall reading an article about them and the DIY type conductivity pen types are not very accurate!

The professional units test the boiling point of the fluid against the spec for the brake fluid.

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
How accurate is your tester?

I recall reading an article about them and the DIY type conductivity pen types are not very accurate!

The professional units test the boiling point of the fluid against the spec for the brake fluid.
Probably close enough for Government work buddy :D

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
RobT's service is a B service (as it includes the pollen filter) plus mileage/time dependant items, namely brake fluid (2 yearly), fuel and air filters (4 yearly) - don't know the mileage limits for fuel and air filters as we only do 7-9k miles PA!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
RobT's service is a B service (as it includes the pollen filter) plus mileage/time dependant items, namely brake fluid (2 yearly), fuel and air filters (4 yearly) - don't know the mileage limits for fuel and air filters as we only do 7-9k miles PA!

Fuel filters and Air filters are 4 years, I would not leave my air filters 4 years again

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Oil MB 229.51
Oil filter
Seal plus waste
Pollen filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Brake fluid.

When I bought the big service kit for my car I got all of this and an extra air filter as, mine has two air filters fitted and that all came in at £135-42. I added on a replacement set of wipers, good quality Bosch ones no less, which was an extra £15-99.
I actually enjoy working on the car, I find it very therapeutic, the fact that it's done to my satisfaction and saved me a fortune is just a pleasant grin inducing side effect.
£151-41 against £349 and some pence, is a substantial saving.

Do it yourself is the future. Buy 20 litre bag in box mb oil and a filter . My quote for an oil and filter change is £311. I was very tempted by these extra item prices too.

Additional Repair items:

• Replace Front Discs + Pads £495.96
  • Replace Front Pads £231.34
  • Replace Front Wiper Blades £57.19
  • Replace Rear Discs + Pads £454.38
  • Replace Rear Pads £215.87
Rear pads £215.87 now wtf is all that about . Lol.

When I was running down my brake judder I replaced front discs and pads plus the rear discs and pads and fitting kits at £299.52
the MB price shown here is £950.34 :shock: again, I got it done a lot more cheaply than MB prices. My mechanic mate helped me out and I gave him £200 to keep me right and make sure that everything was done properly, we also fitted two new calipers and front flexibrake hoses and did the brake fluid change too, calipers were O.E. spec ebay specials that I stole for £120 from the vendor just because he wanted rid of them. The flexi's were around £20 as I recall, so, there are fantastic savings to be had if you know where to look and don't mind getting your hands greasy. ;) :D:D

Last edited:

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I don't want to know my car that intimately.:)

I do, because the more you know, the easier it is to look after and personally, I find that it makes for a more enjoyable, complete ownership experience.

Ok, it's not to everyone's taste, yourself for example, however, as I mentioned previously, it's all part of the fun for me.

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Mercedes-Benz A Service
Taking care of your luxury vehicle means knowing when to take it in for scheduled Mercedes-Benz service. The first required service for your vehicle is Mercedes-Benz Service A, which is due around 10,000 miles or one year after purchase, although this may vary slightly depending on the specific model and the way you drive your car. Either way, there’s no need to worry about keeping track, as the Flexible Service System will let you know when it’s time to bring it in! Here’s what’s included with the A Service:

Mercedes-Benz B Service
Around one year after your first A Service appointment, so approximately two years since your purchase or at 20,000 miles (whichever comes first), it will then be time to bring your vehicle in for Mercedes-Benz Service B to ensure your vehicle is running as smoothly. Again, you’ll know when it’s time because the Flexible Service System will issue you a reminder. The regular interval for these appointments continues around every two years or 20,000 miles and, as you’ll see, also includes all of the above work done as a part of the A service. As a part of your B Service, here is the work that will be performed:

• Synthetic motor oil replacement
  • Oil filter replacement
  • Cabin dust/combination filter replacement
  • Brake fluid exchange
  • All fluid level checks and corrections dependent on factory-recommended service intervals for your vehicle’s year and model
  • Tire inflation check and correction
  • Brake component inspection
  • Reset maintenance counter
  • Adherence to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
AMG models have transmission/differential oil changes in addition to the above, but like you say most of the service checks are very expensive visuals that anyone with attentive eyes can do.

I bought my own Merc new and I maintain it myself. This way it's worked on with care and attention, and I'm not parting with high amounts of cash for very basic skills performed on my car. Like somone else said, the mega-service costs charged are to cover the expense of all the directors personal cars, the showroom hot-chocolate machine, the shiny suits and trendy-wendy hair-cuts the sales lads have.

Many many guys on here willing to offer advice and share info, so roll your sleeves up and save some pennies;)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I bought my own Merc new and I maintain it myself.
I totally agree with you about the ridiculous, bordering on extortionate labour costs and mark up on parts and consumables where dealer servicing is concerned, but as we all know this is where they make the bulk of their money.

I am interested to know what age your car was when you first started to maintain it yourself?

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
It's almost at 2000 miles and not quite a year old yet. I'll be replacing gearbox oil and front/rear diff oil shortly as this is due on at AMG models at the 2000 mark. General guidance is 1800miles but from MB it's 2000. I replaced engine oil and filter at 1500 miles so i could inspect the filter for any swarf following my running-in period.
I don't watch TV so I enjoy any excuse to turn a spanner or equivalent most days of the week.

I've owned too many cars now and encountered too many rough mechanics who leave me with problems after work has been completed. Most of them don't really care and are clock-watching all day so my job/car is just part of their day. This includes local garages/mobile mechanics/super-expensive main dealers franchises too. Not every single time of course, but I don't like strangers driving my cars either. At all.

Top Bottom