wrong fuel

StevieBox

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 Ml 320 CDi
Some how my other half managed to put 26 litres of unleaded into our E320 cdi W211!!!

Drove for half a mile then suddenly realised what she had done and pulled over straight away.
It's now at our Merc garage in Guildford having it's fuel system flushed.
Hope fully no damage done!!!!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
99% it will be fine. Lots of rubbish about needing a new fuel system and pump for £3000, but its a very common mistake and I've not heard of a resultant failure yet. Plus in half a mile I doubt much reached the pump let alone the engine.

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
I always replace the fuel filter and test the car from then on. But, (and there is one) I dont mean to scare you but I have experienced metal filings floating around throughout the fuel system which cause running problems at a later date. Just so you know.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Depends on the amount of diesel left in tank prior to filling with petrol. As petrol is a very poor lubricant the fuel system can be damaged very quickly. If you only travelled 1/2 mile and filled the tank to the top with 26 litres of ulg doubt if you will have caused any permanent damage.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes a hard one, always worse on a CDI owing to the higher pressure, it is said that 6 liters is the max that you can get away with as the only lubricant is in the diesel, and petrol contains none.

I wait and see situation

OP
S

StevieBox

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 Ml 320 CDi
got the car back, no damage done.

I knew someone who knew someone else!!!
Cost me £250 inc vat plus it got a good wash and vac!!!

Don't think it will happen again!!

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
got the car back, no damage done.

I knew someone who knew someone else!!!
Cost me £250 inc vat plus it got a good wash and vac!!!

Don't think it will happen again!!

Ah ha but just think about the points you now have over 'er in doors';)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom