Yellow Triangle light flashing

gcprakashgc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240/2001
Hi everyone, this is my first post here on the forum, I have a Mercedes C240/2001 Elegance model. It is flashing a yellow traingle sign while driving since the last few days, when that happens my brakes don't seem to work, it feels almost like they have failed, car slows down and I can't accelerate . It's making me nervous to drive the car, this is what shows up on the screen afterwards ( Elec Stabil Prog Visit Workshop ESP) Could anyone help me out with what it is? Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211224-190522_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211224-190522_Gallery.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 23

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

The Yellow light - affectionately known as "the idiot light" ;) is the traction control kicking in to prevent wheel spin - are your tyres in good condition? is the road surface grippy?
It gets signals from the ABS wheel speed sensors - the reluctor rings have been known to rust off giving inconsistent signals so the car hasn't a clue what the wheels are doing and flags the warning and brakes etc.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
As above.
If the ESP is kicking in then the car will apply the brakes on what it thinks is the spinning wheel to stop it spinning and reduce the engine power.
If your tyres have a good amount of tread and driving with a gentle right foot doesn't work then it could be rusty reluctor rings or a failing ABS sensor.
You could have a look at the reluctor rings yourself but ultimately it would be best to get some codes or signals read on STAR diagnostic to see what the problem really is.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above.
If it's coming on when you're just pootling along then you probably have an ABS sensor issue.
You need to get someone to read the codes to tell you which one and it may require live test to monitor wheel speeds.

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Can you not turn off the ESP with a switch on the centre console and try and drive it and see if there is a difference? Then this should give you a quick answer or am I wrong?

OP
G

gcprakashgc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240/2001
Hello and welcome,

The Yellow light - affectionately known as "the idiot light" ;) is the traction control kicking in to prevent wheel spin - are your tyres in good condition? is the road surface grippy?
It gets signals from the ABS wheel speed sensors - the reluctor rings have been known to rust off giving inconsistent signals so the car hasn't a clue what the wheels are doing and flags the warning and brakes etc.
My tyres are actually pretty bad, will try new tyres. Plus, as you said the reluctor rings look like there's some rust. Perhaps. That could be the reason. Thank you for your response.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
How bad is bad, on the limits?
It may well be you have a sensor out I would be inclined to get the read regardless.

If they are the original sensors/rings then 20 years is very good going. The cars do not like aftermarket sensors so do go original - its worth it in the long run.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Please be careful, a family member had a colleague from overseas who has not accustomed to driving on the slippery wet roads and as a result that family member was found after the accident, confused, concussed and lost in a field trying to find help. Their neck broken by the accident that resulted from the drivers inexperience.

You say "your brakes do not work" and that "it makes you nervous". Well, in that case do not drive the car until you have resolved the situation - no one in their right mind, and certainly no police officer, magistrate or driving instructor would encourage you to continue using the car. Learn about the car as well and what the warnings mean, as well as how to drive. You sound dangerous to yourself and others. I suspect this thread is a joke, but if it isn't then please do take responsibility for the situation before someone is hurt.

Top Bottom