Yellowing headlights

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Main thing is not to put on sealant until the lens looks good. Otherwise if you decide it isn't good enough and do more work on it you will first be removing the sealant rather than improving the lens.

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E-class, 2005, E270CDI (2.7) + 1992 Mercedes 500SL (R129)
Main thing is not to put on sealant until the lens looks good. Otherwise if you decide it isn't good enough and do more work on it you will first be removing the sealant rather than improving the lens.
Yes you are correct, I haven’t put any on mine yet as I’m not quite happy with them

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I have to agree with Lost kiwi.
I have done both our Mini's, the Aygo and the Mercedes, except for the Mercedes, just done by hand and elbow grease, used T cut to finish, then a good wax coat.
The Mercedes I removed the headlights and used a cordless drill to do them (as they are so easy to remove, and then a good coat of wax. Did them about a year ago, re waxed once, they are as good as new still.

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
Throw all the wet sandpaper and polish out the window.

I've done that method which works well but is a lot of work.

Just did the lights on one of my cars and this method, using Meguires ScratchX 2.0, is quick, simple, easy and inexpensive.

Yellowing headlight cleaning

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Don't do as I did and forget the clear coat you have to polish again much quicker.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Depends on how bad , Meguires PlastRX or opposite end of the scale by starting with 600 grade .
I use the Maguires PlastRX with microfibre cloths and does the job very well. Someone had laquerer coated the lenses years ago and that went yellow and was a pain to remove so i will never clearcoat it just use this stuff and suffices enough

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I use the Maguires PlastRX with microfibre cloths and does the job very well. Someone had laquerer coated the lenses years ago and that went yellow and was a pain to remove so i will never clearcoat it just use this stuff and suffices enough
How long does the PastiRX last vs clearcoat?

HankScorpio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 2007
I picked my new car up on Saturday and the headlights weren't great. After a few minutes with a bit of T-Cut and a cheap foam pad on my drill, here is the result (before and after)

Not perfect but a definite improvement. I've got a couple of cans of 2k lacquer in the garage for a couple of surfboards I'm building. When it's time to crack these open in a few weeks, I'll do a better polishing job and lacquer them properly. I'll probably have a go with a courser cutting compound first as the left over bits seem a bits tough.

Not bad work for the time it takes to drink a coffee.

Now I just need to clean the T-Cut splashes that are all over my bonnet.

Attachments

• IMG_20210526_112901.jpg
    IMG_20210526_112901.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210526_114046.jpg
    IMG_20210526_114046.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 12

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
I picked my new car up on Saturday and the headlights weren't great. After a few minutes with a bit of T-Cut and a cheap foam pad on my drill, here is the result (before and after)

Not perfect but a definite improvement. I've got a couple of cans of 2k lacquer in the garage for a couple of surfboards I'm building. When it's time to crack these open in a few weeks, I'll do a better polishing job and lacquer them properly. I'll probably have a go with a courser cutting compound first as the left over bits seem a bits tough.

Not bad work for the time it takes to drink a coffee.

Now I just need to clean the T-Cut splashes that are all over my bonnet.
Honestly. The Scratch-X 2.0 I mentioned earlier eliminates all the need for cutting polish & power tools.

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
I'm sceptical tbh. How would this work?
Have a look at the piece I did in the attached link. Left half is still yellowed, right half has been cleaned up. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but it does work. You can see the whole thread by clicking the link at the top right of my post.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Have a look at the piece I did in the attached link. Left half is still yellowed, right half has been cleaned up. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but it does work. You can see the whole thread by clicking the link at the top right of my post.

There is really only one way and that is to remove the discoloured layer. The ones in your example look pretty yellow but still smooth so no crazing etc.
Others will require deeper crazing to be removed which requires sanding and polishing so there is no silver bullet solution for all cases unfortunately.

Just my opinion and glad that what you used fulfilled your requirements.

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
There was actually some crazing, not a lot, which took the extra rubbing that I mentioned. The car is 30 years old.

In any event, for the very small cost I highly recommend trying it first to save you a lot work. You can always sand later if it doesn't work.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
There was actually some crazing, not a lot, which took the extra rubbing that I mentioned. The car is 30 years old.

In any event, for the very small cost I highly recommend trying it first to save you a lot work. You can always sand later if it doesn't work.

I’ve already done them and I couldn’t see that anything other than sanding with progressively fine grades of papers would’ve worked.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom