Yet another question R230 roof seals

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Having had a relatively long run of luck with a dry boot, I've recently been getting the usual signs (misting of windows) that all was not well.

The three attached images show what I believe to be the two areas at fault, that being the inner joins between the C pillar and the rear window seals.

I don't remember the lower overlap flap bits having this gap at the bottom - hopefully clear in at least one of the pics - that seems to be where the water has been getting through & in.

The only two things I have done are a minor adjustment (just 1 or 2 mm) of the boot lock catch to make it not quite so tight for the soft close and more recently I cleaned all the seals & lubed with silicon (spray) to give what I hoped would be a good contact.

I remember seeing one of Malcolm's posts with a bit of hosepipe lodged in the channel to reshape (I think).

I would be grateful if anyone (with a dry boot!) could post up a picture for me to compare and of course any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 319
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 283
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 268

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes this is what I have done now on a few cars. There is a little more to it than that and I am half way through doing the full DIY on this, just hang on. the water actually runs under the rubber on the C pillar and comes out on the inside and drips down

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Do a search on this subject and you will find the photos I took with Malcolm last year.Make sure all your drain holes are clear on the rubbers in your photos. There are 4; 1 at each far end by the bottom ogf the roof C pillar, and 2 towards the middle under the rubber flap as shown in your pic 1:lol:

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
David

I have just taken these photographs which I hope help in some way. My boot has not ever leaked but because the car is garaged it does not spend prolonged periods standing in wet weather. I have also resealed at the bottom of the C pillars and below the rear window. I used a product called CT1 in black.....I used the tube insert merely as a temporary means of applying pressure during the curing period for the CT1......no tube there now. I used CT1 having done some research, communicating with the company and satisfying myself that it is an appropriate product.....preparation does not have to be totally dry. Having taken the photographs for you you will notice slight browning that could be taken for the early stages of rust to the ''outside'' of the inner drains.....on close inspection with a torch I can advise that is exactly what it is......b*****!!!***???

Mic

DSC01797.jpg DSC01798.jpg

DSC01800.jpg DSC01801.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am just in the middle of doing this Steve. the rear gutter is only for when opening the boot and has nothing to do with water coming in, it is the rubbers under the C pillars.

The only pic that I did not have were the ones for the plate under the window, but will be posted shortly

OP
drmw

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thanks all (sorry Mic about spoiling your day!) - interesting - looks like yours has the same profile as mine. Mine lives outside & is parked on a slight uphill gradient, which means when I open the boot, the water cascades down, onto the rear window, then wherever it ****** well wants - the one place it's least inclined (literally) to go are the drains under the pointy bits of the bootlid.

I'll recheck the drains in the middle, but there were clear sign of water under the area I phototgraphed which were not from this morning. I have been diligent over the last few days by not opening the bootlid so the way I see it at the moment is rainwater from the back window runs into the gap between window & bootlid then finds it's way inside.

Didn't mention in the original post, the "flappy" bits under the the joins were holding water this morning (albeit not very well!), so it is exiting from the angled rear window/C pillar connection.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
David in Mics second top picture the seal must be tight in the rear corner, in fact it must be stuck to the C metal all the way along to the side window, there are 3 welds under the rubber and any water going down this seal goes right down and up the other side and drips into the boot

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
David

When I resealed my seals the long one immediately below the rear window looked to be perfectly fine and only on very close inspection with one of Mrs. B's thin nylon kitchen spatulas did I find that about 75mm. right in the centre was ''coming away''. I only had the spatula to hand because I was doing the C pillars and in the mood to only visit the issue once. I could never have seen nor found that particular flaw with only eyesight and fingers.
I then used the spatula to de-bond the seal for its full length or until I met real resistance at about the inner drains, and resealed for the full length below the rear window.
Only time will tell how good a job I have done.

Mic

OP
drmw

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
ok guys - I will wait on the official write up!!

Meantime, what did you use as adhesive? I ask only as I will go buy some in preparation

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Loctite super flex 5940 Black, Halfords used to sell it not sure now though.

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDi Sport&R172 SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Just ordered mine from RS components. Bit on the expensive side, but it was the only place I could source it.

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When is the 'How to' going to be published Malcolm? I'm getting itchy feet now and want this as my Saturday morning project!! ;-))

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When is the 'How to' going to be published Malcolm? I'm getting itchy feet now and want this as my Saturday morning project!! ;-))

Over the week end with luck

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you manage to do it this weekend Malcolm? I can't find it

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No problem. Looking forward to it. You are a gent!

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it ready yet? Is it ready yet? I'm like an over excited child!!

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Itchy feet :-(

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom