Yet another question R230 roof seals

Daydreamer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2006
Malcolm, I also need assistance sorting my roof seals, but am not allowed to send messages as recent joiner to the forum. Very much hoping you can help me. Perhaps you can send me an email at tjaskeland(at)gmail(dot)com?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Scotti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Hi Malcolm, I completed the sealing process you have outlined and everything seems waterproof apart from where the c pillar seals meets the middle seal. On either side of the c pillars there is a lip which is filling up with water and this water funnels directly into the boot. The lip is more like a tongue if you like and water is dripping in.

How do you attach photos on here? Maybe I can take a photo and show you what i mean?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is this the part

DSC_0020_zps5gvfuozp.jpg

Scotti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
No not here. I have sent you a private message. please email me. thanks

Scotti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
I dont think my private message worked. What is your email address please? I can email you a photo.

The water build up is actually within the rubber seal channel and as the water builds up over time, it overflows into the boot via the lip.

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
PM received and Email sent.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Hi Malcolm, I completed the sealing process you have outlined and everything seems waterproof apart from where the c pillar seals meets the middle seal. On either side of the c pillars there is a lip which is filling up with water and this water funnels directly into the boot. The lip is more like a tongue if you like and water is dripping in.

How do you attach photos on here? Maybe I can take a photo and show you what i mean?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If you are talking about the joint between the C pillar seals and the rear window lower seal, you do know there is a drain at this junction at both sides?? Its a folding flexible pipe that can get crimped and then blocks up with gunge. If you've got a build up of water its worth checking these are clear.

Scotti

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
If you are talking about the joint between the C pillar seals and the rear window lower seal, you do know there is a drain at this junction at both sides?? Its a folding flexible pipe that can get crimped and then blocks up with gunge. If you've got a build up of water its worth checking these are clear.

Hi mate! Thanks for this! What's the best way to clear these pipes?

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Hi mate! Thanks for this! What's the best way to clear these pipes?

With some water in the C pillar channel, try massaging the pipes to get any kinks out and loosen any crud. Once the water starts to drain run loads of water through to wash the crud out.

Failing that you can works a small diameter piece of tube or wire down the pipe but be very careful not to pierce the drain as its thin and soft to keep it flexible. I think there id a join in the middle which you can pull apart but put a towel down first the catch any crud!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a joining piece.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom