yet more water 230CLK 98

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
Hi Guys
following my recent post regarding a water leak under the dashboard which I may have solved following Malcolm's (television) advice. As I accelerate from standing still I can hear water sloshing about somewhere on the passenger side either in the door well or the rear quarter well. A very brief inspection would suggest the door though as I can feel the bottom of said door card/trim is wet. obviously this is going to rot the bottom of the doors if left unattended. Does anyone have a correct procedure for getting the water out?
thanks
Trace

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
There should be drain holes at the bottom of the door, seen if you open the door and look underneath. I would suspect the water to be sloshing around under the carpet, lift the carpet up at the passengers side and slip your hand in to check

OP
silver bullet

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
yes the carpet is soaked and I spent 3 days drying this out at christmas:confused:
I found 3 rubber bungs under the door took them out but the water has already draind away slowly I think? the bottom of the door and the door card is saturated :shock:
How is it getting in and why wont it drain away? help please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The heater box will be blocked drain,, and water in the floor ducts, not the door

OP
silver bullet

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
Hey Malcolm
Thanks again, How do I tackle this job. I've absolutely no idea what i'm looking for:confused:
cheers
Trace

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have got to remover the wheel arch liner rear section to get to the heater box drain,,no other way

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I forgot the link and 545

m.mycat

OP
silver bullet

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
so I dont need to remove the grills below the windshield then?
How do I take the wheel arch lining off? How many screws are there or is it clips? Sorry I'm not following this very well :confused: Once i've got the panel out the way what do I do then?
atb
T

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to remove the near side wheel and put a axle stand under the jacking point for added safety, the wheels arch liner is held with 10mm plastic nuts,, just removing the rear lower ones should enable you to get to the bottom of that pie that come out just above the floor level in the bulkhead / firewall

OP
silver bullet

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
and once i'm behind there is it pipe 545 I need to poke around and clear out Is it clearly visible?

OP
silver bullet

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
Hi Malcolm,
well I've just removed the near side wheel arch liner (just to double check that's the passenger side?) and i found 2 rubber bungs facing front in the bulk head the nearest one which was bigger in size had a split in it around the rim the second one slightly further in was smaller i took both out and poked around in side but I couldn't find anything in there but empty space
was i in the right place? I also noticed that the whole of that area around the bottom of the wheel arch liner and the drain plug in the sill bottom has all dried out now whereas the other day it was all dripping and damp around there?

OP
silver bullet

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
I think I may have driven malcolm insane with this but I'm getting somewhere with this so I'll keep posting my progress anyway as it may help others hopefully! I've been checking other postings on this subject and it seem to be a bit of common problem on these cars. What happened to mercedes build quality after the 124:rolleyes: Right, I have cleared out all the underneath drainage rubbers below the sill and underneath the passenger door I have also had the grill below the windscreen and airbox open and cleaned all that out including the little 1 inch rubber drain hose with the flap at the bottom corner of plastic box on the rear right hand side of the engine bay off and cleared that. Then I had the underneath of the heater box inside the car located below the glove box ( I read this could contain up to a gallon of wtaer :shock: fortunately it didnt but there were traces of water and some mud and little tiny twigs inside so this is defo the point of water entry. after throwing water all over it most my drain points seem to be working but there is a slow drip which continued at least an hour after the test Its coming from the centre of the car underneath by the exhaust and transmission This i guess is the infamous pipe 545 malcolm referred to but i cant for the life of me find out how to get at it other than get the car on a garage ramp. Any ideas folks would be appreciated cheers and sorry malcolm for being a pain:Oops:
Trace

OP
silver bullet

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
Good news so far. After going through the car wash last night I've had the bottom tray off the heater box under the glove box off again this afternoon (I took this off yesterday and it was wet with a bit of mud and little twigs in it) and it was bone dry. It's only a question of sliding back two white plastic clips :D I'm now drying out the sound proof padding and the underneath piece of the dash board which also has sound proofing and of course the floor mats indoors for the next few days and i'll continue to monitor the footwell if we get some rain in the next few days

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom