You Can Have a Heated Windscreen on a Merc

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Could "windshield with heating" (part #A2306700901) be the windscreen for the heated wiper system rather than a heated screen? It's the only thing I have found in WIS re 230 heated screen.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Was not an extra on mine

Mic

I do not think that you have it Mic, it could have been one of those things never fitted, if it is on your car then the wording in the handbook wood say how and when it operates

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't find any ref to country simply chassis nos and to date in EPC

The screen was switched using the defrost button on the a/c control on the 220 and 211 I referenced at the start. But you are correct I can find no mention of the 230 with heated screen in WIS

Thanks Peter, I know that I have looked at the screen replacement in WIS should I have ever needed it.

If you go into the control heating section the info is there for the rear screen but no mention of a front, if there was a heated front screen then the control unit would not be the same re connections etc plus current consumption

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Was this for UK cars though, cars for North Canada had the heated steering wheel, I have the three sales books and handbooks through till 2004 nothing in them on this and nowhere for a switch, plus not mentioned in WIS as far as I know.

I have never seen any visable wires in one either, othe than the TV and radio antennas

Maybe I was wrong, I think was wrong, because it is not something I have cause to use often (the car is garaged) but the screen does defrost very quickly on the defrost button. The visible wiring consists of a loop at the bottom of the screen on both driver and passenger sides, a vertical wire up the middle of the screen and a horizontal wire at the top of the screen driver's side only. I presume these are the antennae to which you refer and which I had taken for heating elements.
What exactly are these wires for? What does the stub aerial on the near side rear wing do?

Apologies if I have misled.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not at all Mic :p:p The stub antenna on the rear wing is for the phone, the front screen wires are for Radio and TV, but there are more in the rear of the car

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Could "windshield with heating" (part #A2306700901) be the windscreen for the heated wiper system rather than a heated screen? It's the only thing I have found in WIS re 230 heated screen.

Maybe I was wrong, I think was wrong, because it is not something I have cause to use often (the car is garaged) but the screen does defrost very quickly on the defrost button. The visible wiring consists of a loop at the bottom of the screen on both driver and passenger sides, a vertical wire up the middle of the screen and a horizontal wire at the top of the screen driver's side only. I presume these are the antennae to which you refer and which I had taken for heating elements.
What exactly are these wires for? What does the stub aerial on the near side rear wing do?

Apologies if I have misled.

Mic

Could this be the heated wiper function? WIS does mention the park area of the screen is heated. There are no switches for this as it comes on at <5c just as the door mirrors do

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could this be the heated wiper function? WIS does mention the park area of the screen is heated. There are no switches for this as it comes on at <5c just as the door mirrors do

I will take a read peter when my other computer behaves itself, the video board is giving out multi images.

Its all fascinating stuff, And I love knowing what I have got, so thanks to Mic for bring this all up, and you for checking on the screens. I did check on the EPC for all other countries but all the same, it is also interesting that only till the middle of 04

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1

No, it's for the TV.

I don't know what the score is with these heated screens - when my screen was broken Autoglass had it recorded as having a heated front screen (they had fitted one previously) but it definitely hasn't got one. BUT the one they initially ordered didn't have the TV aerial (which makes me wonder if they confuse the two).

By the way - from the initial post in this thread... 42 amps?!!? Errrrr.......

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Wouldn't the "electric element" in the general car heater be just as quick, warm the car and defrost your nose.

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
No, it's for the TV.

I don't know what the score is with these heated screens - when my screen was broken Autoglass had it recorded as having a heated front screen (they had fitted one previously) but it definitely hasn't got one. BUT the one they initially ordered didn't have the TV aerial (which makes me wonder if they confuse the two).

By the way - from the initial post in this thread... 42 amps?!!? Errrrr.......

That's what it states in WIS, not too extraordinary for a 12V system?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK so there is a heated part of the screen that stops the wipers from sticking to the glass when the temp goes below 6c and runs for a certain amount of time dependent on the conditions of driving etc. It runs for a max of 25 mins to prevent damage to the glass.

I see that the outside air temp sensor is multi function on the 230 and also controls these things and heated mirrors

The bottom section of the 230 glass is black so impossible to see any wires there in, perhaps this was as near as MB could get without infringing any patents.

So Mic you were correct and we do have a heated front window, what can one say more :p

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
I had a heated screen on a land rover defender. They are very good at clearing ice and not bad at mist.

The problem I found was the tiny wire filaments broke leaving annoying gaps.

Also the elements were quite visable when the sun was low.

The defender one may not be the best example of a heated screen though:D

Adam

Meatius

Reaction score
Apparently according to the Ford dealership today, Ford owned the Patent to the actual filament between two pieces of glass, this patent has now expired and so all manufacturers are now able to use the patent and produce their own versions. I had the Granada Scorpio and it is the best thing since sliced bread, start the car press the heated screen button and in seconds the ice slides off the screen and away you go

Edgwareman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200k 2007 & W124 200 1986
Back in tha dark ages of my youth(!) I owned an ex' works rally Morris Cooper S, this was one of the famous original type mini's, (Monte Carlo Rally fame?) It had a Lucas heated front screen, it was registered in 1965!!!

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Apparently according to the Ford dealership today, Ford owned the Patent to the actual filament between two pieces of glass, this patent has now expired and so all manufacturers are now able to use the patent and produce their own versions. I had the Granada Scorpio and it is the best thing since sliced bread, start the car press the heated screen button and in seconds the ice slides off the screen and away you go

I had a scorpio cosworth with heated front screen ,one side failed ...guess which side !!!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I had a scorpio cosworth with heated front screen ,one side failed ...guess which side !!!

same as my granada ghia! they are good when they work right though

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I had a heated screen on a land rover defender. They are very good at clearing ice and not bad at mist.

The problem I found was the tiny wire filaments broke leaving annoying gaps.

Also the elements were quite visable when the sun was low.

The defender one may not be the best example of a heated screen though:D

Adam

its the same as the ford screen. probably because ford owned landrover at the time?

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I'll be glad when we all get them.

My wife keeps reminding me about the heated front screen on her 10 year old Focus when I'm showing off my various knobs (cue Helen/Lizzy).

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom