Zero tolerance

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Or realising that they are there at the sufferance of the people, to protect the people and NOT to tyrannise the people.

Where is the fact and data to show that exceeding the speed limit by 1mph puts people at risk?

For that matter, where is the fact and data to show 70mph is sensible? It was introduced as a fuel saving measure during the Second War and has nothing to do with safety.

Blindly imposing laws that rely on a Opto- mechanical indicator (speedo needle) and human interpretation (quick glance) is never going to wash with the people who submit to those laws.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
What a poorly thought out idea. Shall I sack any member of staff who is 1 minute late for work?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What a poorly thought out idea. Shall I sack any member of staff who is 1 minute late for work?
Maybe that Chief Constable should too. Perhaps he should impose zero tolerance HR rules. Let’s get that raised in the House.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What a moron.

That info graphic regarding 20mph limits is especially funny, as in 2013 councils hadn't introduced 20mph limits (down from 30) on main routes yet. When was the last time you saw a 20mph speed camera before this happened!"

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The problem with employing short thinkers in positions of authority is the ramifications of their ill thought comments.
The "grey area" allows the application of common sense something he has clearly run out of.

So often people who think in Black & White are blinded by life's colours.
It is not so much him who is the problem it is the people who appointed him.

He has apparently a degree in Agricultural Business Management from Wye College, University of London, I leave you to your own puns.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
He would do better to spend time sorting out the non disclosure of evidence at rape trials. This is a major issue, & they haven’t even started to look at other criminal offences trials non disclosure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Funnily enough we've had this all before:
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/just...cked-new-zero-tolerance-approach-to-speeding/

That was published in 2014 and North Wales Chief Constable Mark Polin is one who has enforced zero tolerance since even before then.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3381739.stm

Strangely the fatalities in North Wales have increased year on year in spite of his approach.

Maybe (an off the wall idea here) if they fixed the damned roads then people would be able to pay more attention to their speed instead of dodging potholes.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Or realising that they are there at the sufferance of the people, to protect the people and NOT to tyrannise the people.

Where is the fact and data to show that exceeding the speed limit by 1mph puts people at risk?

For that matter, where is the fact and data to show 70mph is sensible? It was introduced as a fuel saving measure during the Second War and has nothing to do with safety.

Blindly imposing laws that rely on a Opto- mechanical indicator (speedo needle) and human interpretation (quick glance) is never going to wash with the people who submit to those laws.

During the second war could any (many) cars get to 70?

During the second war were there any motorways?

What do you mean by the "second war"?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Will he,
remove his officers from driving Police vehicles if / when they are accused of speeding, 1mph over or more? Pending an investigation to prove their innocence or guilt of course, such as the Magistrates Court.
He is concerned for public safety and that seems a good place for him to show it.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i buy speedlimits but wish plod was out dealing with real crims instead of absent minded people doing 1,3 mph over limit .i think the first two offences ,say under say 5mph over in a 30 limit should be warnings only, recorded, then after the third make the fine3x as now, less paperwork ,court crap and motorist cant say he was not given chance .
EVERYTHING in the uk is just a revenue stream now , i got had 3mph over 30 last yr, first time in over 30 yr of driving. still cost me 100. trying to reduce my trips to uk to 1 a yr from 3 because that seems a when ,not if , situation. i acually feel the hair come up on the back of my neck when arriving in the uk and departing the ferry port. the french also have cameras ,there is normally plenty of warning tho.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
It was introduced because manufacturers used the M1 for their speed tests and their cars were cracking 150mph so it became publicly known that such excess speeds were done.

So it was done for safety and I'm pretty sure that there are a lot less deaths on motorways due to the fact it is there and we don't continue to drive at 150mph

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The thread digresses a little so,
cause all drivers to retake their tests each 5 years,
at 7 years of no retest a driver no longer has a valid licence.

The state can now use this for increased awareness of changing legislation and signage.
The level of driver skill and consideration would improve dramatically, in a short time.
Accidents would be less, traffic would flow easier, insurance 'might' (but unlikely) become cheaper.

I only see win / win, but it isn't a vote winner.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
i buy speedlimits but wish plod was out dealing with real crims instead of absent minded people doing 1,3 mph over limit .i think the first two offences ,say under say 5mph over in a 30 limit should be warnings only, recorded, then after the third make the fine3x as now, less paperwork ,court crap and motorist cant say he was not given chance .
EVERYTHING in the uk is just a revenue stream now , i got had 3mph over 30 last yr, first time in over 30 yr of driving. still cost me 100. trying to reduce my trips to uk to 1 a yr from 3 because that seems a when ,not if , situation. i acually feel the hair come up on the back of my neck when arriving in the uk and departing the ferry port. the french also have cameras ,there is normally plenty of warning tho.

Presumably you have French plates so they shouldn't get you in the UK?

It is true about cash cows; here on the sections of motorway where it's dangerous/downhill/uphill (here that can mean trucks doing 5-10mph so a reduction to 50 or 60 seems fine) the camera is always in the higher rated section just before the lower speed limit takes over so you'd have to be exceeding the NSL AND not slowing down to the new limit you can see to get caught, fair enough.

In the UK they would put it in the lower section straight after the reduction to get anyone who hadn't yet slowed down/adjusted to the new speed would get caught.

That said although the positioning and signs are fair here the boxes themselves are not painted yellow and cannot be distinguished from the many lighting boxes that are at the roadside until you pass them...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i picking up my wife in poole, over to go that morning to my old mans funeral, i had flown into i was driving my daughters mans vw ,not my own car ,unfamiliarity of which was a partial cause.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The thread digresses a little so,
cause all drivers to retake their tests each 5 years,
at 7 years of no retest a driver no longer has a valid licence.

The state can now use this for increased awareness of changing legislation and signage.
The level of driver skill and consideration would improve dramatically, in a short time.
Accidents would be less, traffic would flow easier, insurance 'might' (but unlikely) become cheaper.

I only see win / win, but it isn't a vote winner.
You are right enforcement is not the answer, training is. You pass your test at 17 & are never tested again.

In my case passed first time at 17 joined the army at 18, & driving what are now HGV3 vehicles. At 23 attended a 4 week HGV2 instructors course passed. At 25 attended a weeks conversion to HGV1 instructors course passed. At 27 attended a 4 week armoured track vehicle instructors course passed.

Joined the police service at 32 & then did all the police driving & riding courses.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom