W204 C220 CDI Sport problems

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Sport C220 CDI 2007
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and would be very interested to see if anybody else has had problems similar to mine.
I bought a new-shape C class Sport with a 5-speed auto gearbox in February from an approved MB dealer. The car was sold as an ex-demonstrator, and had 12,000 miles on the clock.
I was generally pleased with the car in every aspect, except the gearbox. Occasionally, when travelling a slow speed, the gearbox would make a real "thump" when changing gear. MB advised me that they were aware of the problem, and a software fix was available. Immediately after having the software fix applied, (which cured the thumping gear changes) I noticed the fuel economy had decreased from 50-55mpg to 40-45mpg and the performance of the car seemed to be degraded also. The car no longer seemed to pull as strongly in "S" (Sport) mode. Despite MB insisting that they had not changed the engine software management, I subsequently discovered that they had applied new software to the gearbox and the engine.
I have heard several rumours now that MB have had issues with the torque converter on this model, and I suspect that the engine performance/economy issues I have experienced are a result of MB detuning the engine to avoid expensive warranty claims.
They have finally agreed (after a lot of arguments) to replace the torque converter on my car, but I still await an explanation for the new engine software being applied.
Has anybody else experienced problems of this kind please?

harp1963

Reaction score
Sorry for such a late reply. I had similar problems on my C220CDI sport Auto box. Torque converter replaced and another sort of valve. This was done after 2 software downloads. The gearbox although better is still rubbish. My 4th new Merc and my last.
Good riddance.

OP
markg14

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
New torque converter partly solved the issue - BUT......
Just this weekend took the car for a service and (again) complained about the gearbox. The technician said "it is a seven-speed gearbox, right?" to which I was astonished. Don't think the new C-Class comes with 7-speed unless you specify the 320. Anyway, he applies the latest software from MB and hey presto!!!! Suddenly the gearbox is a pleasure! Pulls strongly without overrevving, smooth gearchanges and the economy is nearly back to what it was! After applying the changes, the technician gave a little clue by saying "your code has changed" (whatever that means). I suspect they were applying the wrong software, but who cares now? I am delighted with the change, as the car drives how it should have done in the first place.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the latest software is very good, and so pleased that its OK now. I was not on the forum when you first posted and sorry that the response was poor to your post

lulu

Reaction score
Not the first time I've come across main dealer 'technicians' not knowing what they're doing with Star.

DTM1

New Registration
Reaction score
C220 CDI Sport auto problem............

just had my first service at 16000 miles and after having a nightmare with my auto box was told about the update..............
car was dropped back to my office after a nightmare day with mercedes telling me several different times car would arrive! Asked the guy if update had been done, his reply was he didnt know, i was given invoice for which i had paid by card (£250) including flush!? no mention of update so called the dealership to be told by the servicing manager (Mandy) that the delivery driver had been told the update had been done.............................
Well Mandy at Southend Mercedes come and drive my car!!! its worse than ever!!! Swallowing the service cost is one thing but being treated like an idiot worse!!!!
First and last Merc for me.

OP
markg14

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB Southend are dreadful. They fitted two headlamp bulbs for my W204, and I drove home wondering if the lights were working. On arriving home (and the car facing the garage door) I discovered they had fitted the headlamp bulbs at ninety degrees to their correct position. It was the Mercedes equivalent of Marty Feldman!! Refitted them myself and phoned MB Southend to tell them. No offer of a refund on the fitting though. Absolutely woeful.

GrantAnthony

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have recently purchased a 2 year old C220 CDi Sport with Auto gearbox, and have noticed a rather nasty problem when trying to make a quick pull away, the car seems to sit and think about it for about 4 seconds when you put your foot down and then take off like a bat out of hell, a bit dangerous when pulling out on busy junctions.
Is this common and would a software update cure this issue ?.
I guess is should take it back to the MB dealer i purchased it from.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Delay on Take Off

There is certainly a delay before the engine management gets the message from the throttle to move off and it can be a bit disconcerting at first, although I wouldn't say it was as much as 4 seconds on mine. Also if you press harder to make it go, when it does get the message it can go off pretty quick! I guess its a function of the fly-by-wire throttle system and to a lesser extent, my last car (C200 Komp 203) did the same. The effect on that car was masked to some extent by the sharper response of the Kompressor engine.

Unless the delay is as much as 4 seconds, in which case the car will be downright dangerous, I would drive it a bit further to get used to it, before taking it back. I find that I can control the take off reasonably well by using a light initial throttle.

Incidentally, on this car, with the gearbox in the C mode, the throttle seems much more controllable initially.

Hope you enjoy your new car....it is a great improvement on the 203 series.

Ernie

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
my last car (C200 Komp 203) did the same.

My C270CDi certainly doesn't do that. It can seem a bit slow if it's in C (used to be called W) mode, but that's just because it's starting in 2nd. I always drive in S mode and it picks up well out of junctions etc.

I have driven other cars with delays (Mondeo TCDi auto was about the worst) so I understand the issue.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
In "C mode" you'll be in a better gear to pull off again ....... in "S mode" . the car rolls in low gears more, so therefore you could be in the completely wrong gear to pull away again ........... hence the lag !

But a 4 second lag tells me either it's an exaggeration, or there's an issue with the car, that needs a spanner, intervention.

GrantAnthony

Reaction score
Cheers

Thanks for your replies maye 4 seconds is a bit extreme but seems like a long pause and did seem a bit on the dangerous side at the time, i was in sport mode at the time, i will try this some more and maybe get used to it, my last auto was a V8 a few years ago, no take off lag with that.

GrantAnthony

Reaction score
I was at a standstill at a junction in sport mode so would have been in first gear, it may be a bit of an exaggeration but i found the pause too long for my liking, still i have only had the car for 1 week and about 500 miles, it was my first pull away in anger.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
You can get a plug in upgrade, for around £100 aftermarket .......... advertised in MB mag everymonth ........ cant remember what it's called

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do you mean the sprint booster

GrantAnthony

Reaction score
Getaway Car

Thanks for you replies a while back, i have had the C220 CDi Sport for a month now and still find it catches me out thoose odd times that i need to pull out into fast moving traffic at junction or on roundabouts, whether in S or C mode i put my foot down a bit and can count to 3 whilst it crawls and then decides to take off, its ok under normal acceleration, it's just when you need that bit extra it just won't go, i have had many turbo diesels in the past so know all about turbo lag this is my first Diesel auto though.
I can't be the only one who thinks this is a bit deadly so i think i may be having my first trip to the MB service dept.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
...whether in S or C mode i put my foot down a bit and can count to 3 whilst it crawls and then decides to take off,

If it's as you describe then that's definitely not right, although I only ever drive mine in S mode. If the dealer says "they all do that sir" then take a demo out and try that.

nrg220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220cdi Elegance Saloon
gearbox

Blimey I hope I dont get any more problems in 9 months so far Ive had

LH and RH wing mirror indictor units
Oxygen exhaust sensor
Throttle switch, pedal etc
Last one would have been about £500 if it wasnt warranty so about £1000 in 9 months just to keep it on the road

W204 220CDI 15,600 miles

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Hello All,
I have recently purchased a 2 year old C220 CDi Sport with Auto gearbox, and have noticed a rather nasty problem when trying to make a quick pull away, the car seems to sit and think about it for about 4 seconds when you put your foot down and then take off like a bat out of hell, a bit dangerous when pulling out on busy junctions.
Is this common and would a software update cure this issue ?.
I guess is should take it back to the MB dealer i purchased it from.

just read this old post. Sounds like the plonker is unaware if hillassist

Top Bottom