Thinking of getting a SL...

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Yeah the forum was out of action for a day ish, all normal again.
The pano roof is something worth trying to get if you can, but they seem to be much less common in the 350 than the 500 as far as I'm seeing?
Good luck in your continued search, it will be worth the patience and you are now in the time where there's likely to be bargains....:p

Thanks. I have found a few with the pano roof so just need to go and see them.

From the advice earlier in the thread I have whittled down my preferences to this:

- Pano roof
- Black leather (or red but haven't seen many)
- Widescreen screen
- Iridium silver paint - 1st choice
- Black paint (Obsidian?) - 2nd choice
- Up to 60k miles ideally
- Parking sensors
- Aluminium or black ash inserts
- Bose sound

Of all of the above, I'm the least sure about the Bose part so may be willing to let that go if the rest of the car is right.

I've looked up a couple of VIN codes but I'm not sure what all the items the search returns are. For example, one of them had an item call 'Convenience Pack' or something like that.

If I shared the VIN via PM would someone be willing to translate the codes for me?

I'm hoping you're right in that now might be a good time to buy. Having looked most days for a couple of weeks now I think I have a much idea of what is out there and also recognise most of the ads. Will hopefully make it easier to spot the new ones.

Cheers all

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Of course there are many on here who will run the vin code for you... search and I think there was a thread on an app you can download, think I did it need to have a look!
Your option list looks about right, even better if you can find keyless go, distronic and air scarf but that's probably pushing it!

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I agree. I don't think I've seen distronic listed on any of the ones I've looked at.

Wouldn't turn down the other options if they were there though!

I found a couple of sites that will decode the VIN, just need some help to understand what some of the list means.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

From the advice earlier in the thread I have whittled down my preferences to this:

- Pano roof

Nice to have
The red up to 06-2006 is not the same red as the later ones
- Widescreen screen
After 2005
Not till late 2006
Lovey when clean
Sounds good.
- Parking sensors
A must have
There have been 3 different alli trim types
- Bose sound
A must have for me

Of all of the above, I'm the least sure about the Bose part so may be willing to let that go if the rest of the car is right.

I've looked up a couple of VIN codes but I'm not sure what all the items the search returns are. For example, one of them had an item call 'Convenience Pack' or something like that.

If I shared the VIN via PM would someone be willing to translate the codes for me?

I'm hoping you're right in that now might be a good time to buy. Having looked most days for a couple of weeks now I think I have a much idea of what is out there and also recognise most of the ads. Will hopefully make it easier to spot the new ones.

Cheers all

Shame so few around with distronic, its a lovely extra, you should consider the comfort seats, so much better than the standard.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree. I don't think I've seen distronic listed on any of the ones I've looked at.

Wouldn't turn down the other options if they were there though!

I found a couple of sites that will decode the VIN, just need some help to understand what some of the list means.

Not all dealers know that a car has distronic, its easy to spot as the front star has a polished plastic center, the same as my avatar picture

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

- Pano roof
- Widescreen screen
- Parking sensors
- Bose sound

Cheers all

Something to look out for are bi-xenon headlights. I found out recently that the SL350 standard headlights are xenon with a halogen main beam, bi-xenons add a xenon high beam. This may not matter to you but thought i would mention it.

Hope the weekend goes well, SL's are awesome cars.

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Also..........make sure the car has the wind deflector, some people realised they were worth a few bob and sold them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Something to look out for are bi-xenon headlights. I found out recently that the SL350 standard headlights are xenon with a halogen main beam, bi-xenons add a xenon high beam. This may not matter to you but thought i would mention it.

Hope the weekend goes well, SL's are awesome cars.

Good point there and easy to forget this one, Xenon extra on the 350, even on the facelift.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
ll

As far as I am aware MB did not market a convenience pack for the 230 as such, that sounds like dealer speak for electric seats, electric windows, central locking, which were all standard.

I did not realise xenons were optional on the 350, they are one of the best things about my car, that is how they were able to keep the price down on the 350, they were half the price of the '55 when new, my car was £102k, you could buy a 350 for £50,000 plus

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This pack thing comes from Germany and Scandinavia that have offered since before 1990. it is now coming to the UK from about 2010 where you can only have that if you have this.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
As far as I am aware MB did not market a convenience pack for the 230 as such, that sounds like dealer speak for electric seats, electric windows, central locking, which were all standard.

I did not realise xenons were optional on the 350, they are one of the best things about my car, that is how they were able to keep the price down on the 350, they were half the price of the '55 when new, my car was £102k, you could buy a 350 for £50,000 plus

SL350 have xenons as standard but not bi-xenons.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!

Obviously I now can't remember or find where I saw it! From memory I think it was about electric adjustment for the steering wheel - as in it moves when you get in etc. Maybe that was standard?

Thanks for the heads-up re the bi-xenons too.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
From memory I think it was about electric adjustment for the steering wheel - as in it moves when you get in etc. Maybe that was standard?

Absolutely steering wheel adjustment was standard, the thing is, these cars were so well equipped, vendors get away with labeling things as "options" when they were not, although to be fair there is a fair bit of ignorance out there.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks!!!!

I think I'll just go and look at few and then come back to you guys!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
SL350 have xenons as standard but not bi-xenons.

When I put my xenon main beam on, it is like daytime, or a mini sun has come out. I would miss that. Our other cars lights are poor by comparison.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom