What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Interestingly we did benchmark Terraclean, or some product/ setup similar to it, and that does produce measurable results. But only on heavily coked- up engines, like one that was running full over tich for 1800km.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Now where is Mr. Laidlaw?

I was put on the track of a bird scarer product last week. It's a waterproof gel, comes in a little plastic pot. It gives off (to birds) the smell of burning trees. Only been out 2-3 years, trialled on a building in London and all the pigeons had gone inside of a week.

I just got hold of a catalogue, if you're interested I'll let you know the details?

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
Now I admit to having no experience in this area, so I asked one of the powertrain fuel system guys about cleaning additives. His reply was, "They're all almost identical in makeup. They don't do anything that Euro grade fuel doesn't. At the best they might do something, at the worst they won't do any harm."

Soooo, my highly cynical eye is categorising them as snake- oiley.

Surely they must do something though? No doubt, fuel from the refineries is higher quality and contains more beneficial additives than it did in he past (Redex has been around for a long time as a result) but I can't imagine those in-fuel additives are the same concentration as they are in BG44K or Redex? I guess by the time you add it to a tank of fuel it is highly diluted but you must be changing the concentration somewhat enough for there to be some benefit.

Anyways, after a blowing injector 2months ago, I have another this morning :/ (common issue at my c270 Cdi age/mileage). Need to to whip off the engine cover and see if it is the same one as before (done by mechanic) or a different one. I almost hope it is a different one as that means the mechanic (hopefully) did a good job and I can concentrate on getting the tools to do the rest myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From how it was described to me, you have <normal> cleaning additives flowing through your engine all the time. Like say your bath plughole and outlet. Putting Redex or anything else through the fuel system is akin to pouring a bottle of drain unblocker into a full bath and pulling the plug. At the least, it won't do any harm and at the most it might remove some crud. But then the crud is being continuously removed anyway, so... if you want it cleaned there's no substitute for whipping the head off and cleaning it yourself.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From how it was described to me, you have <normal> cleaning additives flowing through your engine all the time. Like say your bath plughole and outlet. Putting Redex or anything else through the fuel system is akin to pouring a bottle of drain unblocker into a full bath and pulling the plug. At the least, it won't do any harm and at the most it might remove some crud. But then the crud is being continuously removed anyway, so... if you want it cleaned there's no substitute for whipping the head off and cleaning it yourself.

By that merit you should then put it with very little fuel to be more effective? I have heard old wives tales say that it can damage components and seals if too high concentration...like putting highly corrosive drain cleaner neat down your drain and it eating the seal in between the bath, plug hole and waste pipe... don't know how true though

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Japing aside, my Pa's Freelander 2 had a bit of a cough & a fart a couple of weeks back - no warning lights came on, just a reduction in power circa 50mph, just like limp-home mode. Otherwise, no wonky symptoms at all.

I got him a bottle of Wynne's (I think), DPF cleaner and ran it through a full tank of juice - got him to do his next couple of commutes in a slightly revvier manner than usual - it then ran sweet as a nut thereafter.

I think I tend to side with the big names can't really do any harm...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That may have been true 20+ years ago but modern materials technology has improved massively in corrosion resistance.

I don't think putting it in with more or less fuel would make that much of a difference. You're putting in about 0.25l and you'd never let your tank run below 5l... that's still a 20:1 dilution ratio.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That may have been true 20+ years ago but modern materials technology has improved massively in corrosion resistance.

I don't think putting it in with more or less fuel would make that much of a difference. You're putting in about 0.25l and you'd never let your tank run below 5l... that's still a 20:1 dilution ratio.

I don't think I ever fill up with more than 2L left in the tank. Probably a bad practice given there is probably crap in the bottom of the tank >_<

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Now where is Mr. Laidlaw?

I was put on the track of a bird scarer product last week. It's a waterproof gel, comes in a little plastic pot. It gives off (to birds) the smell of burning trees. Only been out 2-3 years, trialled on a building in London and all the pigeons had gone inside of a week.

I just got hold of a catalogue, if you're interested I'll let you know the details?
I'm free! :)
That sounds interesting! At my works we've spent now c£6k on the audible scarers, nest removal, clean up and raptor flying...improved? Yes...perfect? No- still went to my car yesterday, several splats. That was a windy ish day and dull so I didn't bother putting the cover on
Was thinking seriously about this but maybe I've 'slightly' more money than sense- I do like a gadget though
https://www.airshroud.co.uk/product/e-car-cover-saloon-coupe/
Yes, can you PM me details of this gel? Thanks!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The fuel pickup always picks up fuel from about 30-40mm above the bottom of the tank, so empty or full it's still picking fuel up at that level.

Personally I try to keep my tanks topped off and not filled up.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm free! :)
That sounds interesting! At my works we've spent now c£6k on the audible scarers, nest removal, clean up and raptor flying...improved? Yes...perfect? No- still went to my car yesterday, several splats. That was a windy ish day and dull so I didn't bother putting the cover on
Was thinking seriously about this but maybe I've 'slightly' more money than sense- I do like a gadget though
https://www.airshroud.co.uk/product/e-car-cover-saloon-coupe/
Yes, can you PM me details of this gel? Thanks!

As soon as I find out who's selling I will do, np.

I also suggest BB gun armed attack drones. At the very least they're write offable in 12mth as zero emissions research, and they'll give hours of fun...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mo
By that merit you should then put it with very little fuel to be more effective? I have heard old wives tales say that it can damage components and seals if too high concentration...like putting highly corrosive drain cleaner neat down your drain and it eating the seal in between the bath, plug hole and waste pipe... don't know how true though

Most of this stuff is pure NAPTHA which is just higher up in the distillation chain (just below Jet Fuel) and yes it can be a little corrosive in concentrate, which is why it's normally recommended to be diluted amongst your normal fuel...
Like Craig says , if your fuel contains a cleaning additive then it's probably getting done anyhoo
It's those Diesel engines doing very little it helps best...transformed my Galaxy which the wife ruined by hardly using it! She's getting a brand new XC90 at the end of this month which I will be taking out for a good booting once a week!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As soon as I find out who's selling I will do, np.

I also suggest BB gun armed attack drones. At the very least they're write offable in 12mth as zero emissions research, and they'll give hours of fun...
Now that I like!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Airwolf! If you put bottle rockets on it ;)

Of course then you'd have to play the theme music while conducting hunter killer sweeps of the shop floor airspace :ad

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom