Drop ones standards at your peril ...

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Getting old is a bitch, but one of the few perks along with no Mortgage is learning to insist stuff is right on day one.
A good example was my wheel refurbishers cross threading my hub, had I not, then I woukd have been stuffed for £650!

Well I bought this racing jack, high speed jobby.
Looked lovely and raised the car in a twinkle, the only thing was when you went to lower it, just a very very small turn and it came down fast. Too fast!
But with real. Concentration its manageable.

I phoned the supplier SGS, and got fobbed off to put it bluntly. And tbh I was only comparing it with a tiny 20 year old low speed jack.
Anyway doing all this restoration work, I thought it would be good to get a second one. Then I realised something was wrong, this new one was easy to control. Phoned supplier again, and got really fobbbed off, "some are like that, they all vary ... how old was it, well if its more than 14 days old etc.
You get the drift....
well you could send it back ( er its days old ) but you have to have to pay the pistage, and you mus thave the original package. ( re the issue, I kept it ;) .. but to me, being an old git ... bad companies always use this same kind of **** preamble, before they get to ****ing you off.

Anyway miffed as I was, I was just too busy to fight the hassle.

Anyway cleaning up the brakes and painting calipers means the car is up for a long time.
Call me daft but I just thought to use 2 jacks, so the car is supported more evenly , would it twist? probably not, but hell if one failed it wouldn't crash down.

Yesterday both front and back were propped up, after about 6 hours I noticed the suspect jack had dropped an inch!
Looking at the manual it says cites "faulty valve" as a cause if the jack being unable to sustain a lift. Er same valve that was so vicious, fully shut or fully open, and no smooth transition.

So I am sure it will be a nice aurgument on Tuesday. Wow its 2 months old.

As they say 3 strikes and you are out!
Interesting company, bought 2 items from them, first one no invoice, second one no invoice. I then ask for an invoice when I bought the second one, and its dated the day I asked for the invoice.??

I do hope they are going to be nice! Otherwise I feel a full VAT audit is merited!
And they are 9001 certified ... hmm interesting.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
If its a racing jack then isn't it meant to come down fast? I would never leave a car on a hydraulic jack for 6 hours unsupported. I'm not surprised it lowered slightly after 6 hours.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If its a racing jack then isn't it meant to come down fast? I would never leave a car on a hydraulic jack for 6 hours unsupported. I'm not surprised it lowered slightly after 6 hours.

The newest one and the 20 year old one stay up.
Just the one with the hyper sensitive valve. By sensitive I mean locked up its closed, rotate it circa a 1/2 a mm and its coming down really exceedingly fast.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
The newest one and the 20 year old one stay up.
Just the one with the hyper sensitive valve. By sensitive I mean locked up its closed, rotate it circa a 1/2 a mm and its coming down really exceedingly fast.

Hard to tell which one (if any) is wrong. As Flowrider says it might be a quick drop for racing purposes.
Also agree 100% about a jack being to lift only, then support is used.
Why buy a racing jack? Seems like a strange choice if your not working in a pit stop.
All hydraulic jacks I've ever used are more sensitive and faster than I would like, so a racing jack could only be quicker.

gr1nch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017 Iridium Silver over Black Nappa
Clearly two pieces of equipement of the same make and model should behave identically as a default, unless you wish to make the settings different between them. I'd be onto the company that sold them to me to put it right too. And if they wanted to play it hard, then I'd be forced to as well. It's like they never want you to buy from them again - is that a way to run a successful business with satisfied, appreciative customers?
And why question whether someone wants a racing jack or not? About as useless as asking someone why they want an AMG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Probably my bad description.
The term racing jack purely means it has twin pistons so can be raised fast. And generally have very low clearances and high loads, and are part made of alloy so are slightly lighter.
Most jacks will come down very fast if you open the valve with a 1/2 turn flick of the wrist.

Its the control sensitivity, think SL63 AMG. Foot off accellerator and it creeps forward in D.
Imagine pressing the pedal 1mm down and suddenly it is churning out 580bhp.
Accidentally nudge the accellorator and you are doing donuts! :)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Clearly two pieces of equipement of the same make and model should behave identically as a default, unless you wish to make the settings different between them. I'd be onto the company that sold them to me to put it right too. And if they wanted to play it hard, then I'd be forced to as well. It's like they never want you to buy from them again - is that a way to run a successful business with satisfied, appreciative customers?
And why question whether someone wants a racing jack or not? About as useless as asking someone why they want an AMG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My point exactly.
Thank you.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
My car was jacked at the front two weeks ago. I was removing a wheel to fix a fsulty windscreen washer motor behind the plastic wheel arch lining.

Being a belt and braces type, I first jacked it high using a ten year old cheapie hydraulic, then slipped an axle stand under it. The axle stand was about 5mm clear of the car. Over a week later, the 5mm clearance was still there. The old hydraulic jack hadn't dropped at all.

I don't trust hydraulics when I'm under a car, so I always physically support it with something really solid as well.

Umble

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I don't trust hydraulics when I'm under a car, so I always physically support it with something really solid as well.

Umble

It can be hard sometimes to find somewhere to place an axle stand as the very place you'd like to put it already has a trolly jack under it. That was my problem when I did the rear shockers on my car the other week.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

Would you not expect a "racing jack" to raise and lower a car quicker than s standard jack? Hence why the original reply. Sub did state the 2 jacks were different in the original post so why would you expect them to behave the same way?

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
And why question whether someone wants a racing jack or not?

I always try to use the right tool for the job, sometimes that's not possible so I just use a tool that will do.
e.g. an adjustable spanner will work on a bolt but the right size spanner is a better tool for the job.
When buying a new tool for a specific job it makes sense to buy the one that suits best.
A racing jack doesn't sound like the best tool for doing leisurely maintenance on a road car.

Maybe the jack that goes down slower is the faulty one?
Is a racing jack fit for the purpose, maybe, maybe not, hence the question of why choose a racing jack.
Why is it such a bad thing to ask if it's the right tool for the job?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Getting old is a bitch, but one of the few perks along with no Mortgage is learning to insist stuff is right on day one.
A good example was my wheel refurbishers cross threading my hub, had I not, then I woukd have been stuffed for £650!

Well I bought this racing jack, high speed jobby.
Looked lovely and raised the car in a twinkle, the only thing was when you went to lower it, just a very very small turn and it came down fast. Too fast!
But with real. Concentration its manageable.

I phoned the supplier SGS, and got fobbed off to put it bluntly. And tbh I was only comparing it with a tiny 20 year old low speed jack.
Anyway doing all this restoration work, I thought it would be good to get a second one. Then I realised something was wrong, this new one was easy to control. Phoned supplier again, and got really fobbbed off, "some are like that, they all vary ... how old was it, well if its more than 14 days old etc.
You get the drift....
well you could send it back ( er its days old ) but you have to have to pay the pistage, and you mus thave the original package. ( re the issue, I kept it ;) .. but to me, being an old git ... bad companies always use this same kind of **** preamble, before they get to ****ing you off.

Anyway miffed as I was, I was just too busy to fight the hassle.

Anyway cleaning up the brakes and painting calipers means the car is up for a long time.
Call me daft but I just thought to use 2 jacks, so the car is supported more evenly , would it twist? probably not, but hell if one failed it wouldn't crash down.

Yesterday both front and back were propped up, after about 6 hours I noticed the suspect jack had dropped an inch!
Looking at the manual it says cites "faulty valve" as a cause if the jack being unable to sustain a lift. Er same valve that was so vicious, fully shut or fully open, and no smooth transition.

So I am sure it will be a nice aurgument on Tuesday. Wow its 2 months old.

As they say 3 strikes and you are out!
Interesting company, bought 2 items from them, first one no invoice, second one no invoice. I then ask for an invoice when I bought the second one, and its dated the day I asked for the invoice.??

I do hope they are going to be nice! Otherwise I feel a full VAT audit is merited!
And they are 9001 certified ... hmm interesting.

A full vat audit is merited? What does that mean? Is it that you will inform the vat office you didn't receive an invoice and hope to get them in trouble?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First, define a 'racing jack'.

I seem to remember that when Sub was looking for a new jack, his criteria included it being of very low profile.
So-called aluminium 'racing jacks' are obviously built with this feature, because of the type of cars they may need to go under. And many are also advertised as 'this racing jack has a universal joint release mechanism for controlled descents of your load from any handle position'.

A racing jack does not necessarily drop the vehicle fast with a thump! Don't get confused with Formula 1.
The jack that does this in an uncontrolled fashion may well be faulty.

Umble

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Pay by Credit Card, if there is an issue call the Card company, simples

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try this:
A low cost low profile (89 mm) 2 ton jack, with controlled descent, and a handle that swivels from side to side, not just up and down - all for less than £35 delivered while the sale is on.
Not aluminium, but well made and very good value.
Extra-wide stance for stability. Compare the Ebay cheapies.
Trolley Jack.jpg

From SGS Engineering.com
No connection with them.

Umble

Last edited:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The OP bought his from them!!!!!

Gotta laugh at that!
What goes around .... !

I have their products and they are very well contstructed, so it may be possible that Sub's jack is faulty.

Umble

gr1nch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017 Iridium Silver over Black Nappa
Would you not expect a "racing jack" to raise and lower a car quicker than s standard jack? Hence why the original reply. Sub did state the 2 jacks were different in the original post so why would you expect them to behave the same way?
OP said he got a "second one", so assumed he meant it was the same as the first one! Maybe, be explained it was a different make/model/design but I missed it if he did.

I don't have a racing jack but I agree I'd expect it would be faster to raise and lower if desired, but also handy for a slow/normal mode if doubling in the workshop.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Gotta laugh at that!
What goes around .... !

I have their products and they are very well contstructed, so it may be possible that Sub's jack is faulty.

Umble
Luck of the draw .. the other one, same design is perfect.
Dont want a refund just a replacement without the problem.

Ironically stayed up today!
I think its a faulty valve seating.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom