Hi just joined! Bought E250 2.1 CDI on Monday next day in garage£££!

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
got to have the correct details for the seller to do that though ! if he's selling cars in such a poor mechanical state , he's hardly going to be a stand up individual

OP
Leo46

Leo46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 250 2010 2.1
Yes I'm not holding my breath too but can only try. I'll keep you all updated anyway and cheers once again for everyone's advice etc.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
If you end up getting a judgment, elevate it (it costs but you should get it back) to the High Court collection. They pass it on to "Sheriffs" who can't be ignored or mucked about - they turn up and either get the money or seize property to pay it off. The tv program Can't Pay, We'll Take it Away" is one heck of an eye-opener showing what they can (and do) do!

Best of luck - it's horrible getting screwed.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
You have my sympathy Leo46.......I'm new to Mercedes too, and reading you post has given me the willies....:( But touch wood.... I remember when DPF's first became news...In my locality, Lady bought a VW Tiguan.. Lovely car, grand to drive etc. everything going well, then after some time had elapsed, dreaded DPF warning light came on. So as it was still under Guarantee, ( very much so) car was returned to the Dealership where it had been purchased. Usual diagnostics etc, and Service Manager informed the Lady that it would not be covered under guarantee, as the problem was caused by the driver. ( this was true, as the said Lady's job involved lots of short distance driving, loads of stopping and starting.) So Garage denied all responsibility, even when asked why this was not made clear when the Lady was negotiating to buy the car, as it was totally unsuitable for her needs. The Garage still refused to do anything, so the case ended up in court, and the Judge found in favour of the Lady, and the dealership had to take back the car, and refund the money. Needless to say, the Lady purchased a different car, and from a different dealership. This happened several years ago, but even today, the mention of DPF is enough to give anyone the shivers. However, having said that, It seems that now there are professional DPF cleaning company's around, and they can be cleaned to original specs....you will have to remove the DPF and deliver it to them, and re-install it when it has been cleaned. Apparently, as it is the original factory fitted DPF, the computer recognises it, and no programming is needed, Anyone have any experience of this? There are several video's on YouTube showing the procedure... May offer a ray of hope to some one !!!!
Best Regards, Jim2

OP
Leo46

Leo46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 250 2010 2.1
Letter sent recorded delivery so just a waiting game now, see what happens. If nothing comes from it so be it.Got car back yesterday..all good..touch wood!!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
You have my sympathy Leo46.......I'm new to Mercedes too, and reading you post has given me the willies....:( But touch wood.... I remember when DPF's first became news...In my locality, Lady bought a VW Tiguan.. Lovely car, grand to drive etc. everything going well, then after some time had elapsed, dreaded DPF warning light came on.

VW / Audi are notorious for it and EGR valve failures, a friend of mine has an A4 2.0TDi, did 30k a year and it all still failed, EGR sent it into limp mode on the M3 at 6pm in the fast lane and it also needed a new DPF, all was done under warranty as the cars mileage was high and the type of driving i.e. long motorway runs couldn't be argued

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
What codes have been written to the system? A DPF usually only clogs to that extent these days when there is another fault which is stopping it doing a regen. So, unless the underlying issue is fixed it will just clog again.

Also, too many places jump straight to replacing the DPF when they can be commercially cleaned out (off the car) for considerably less.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
You are still legally entitled to pursue the private seller. Contact them and advise them whats happened then if they won't play ball use Small Claims (you can do this online quite easily) to recover a portion of your costs (be reasonable about it othrwise it will be thrown out and don't expect full payment for a new DPF as that may be seen as 'betterment' - improving the car's condition beyond what would reasonably be expected for a vehicle of that age/mileage).

+1 for Small Claims Court.The Seller has an obligation not to conceal a know fault.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
You are still legally entitled to pursue the private seller. Contact them and advise them whats happened then if they won't play ball use Small Claims (you can do this online quite easily) to recover a portion of your costs (be reasonable about it othrwise it will be thrown out and don't expect full payment for a new DPF as that may be seen as 'betterment' - improving the car's condition beyond what would reasonably be expected for a vehicle of that age/mileage).

+1 for Small Claims Court.The Seller has an obligation not to conceal a known fault.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
What codes have been written to the system? A DPF usually only clogs to that extent these days when there is another fault which is stopping it doing a regen. So, unless the underlying issue is fixed it will just clog again.

Also, too many places jump straight to replacing the DPF when they can be commercially cleaned out (off the car) for considerably less.
I could not agree more Stu....New DPF every time. But necessity being the mother of invention ( or in this case profit... ) some enterprising people have developed cleaning programmes for clogged DPF's, and a local company are doing it here, you have to bring the clogged DPF to them, they will clean it. One of their selling points being that as its the original DPF, no reprogramming is needed when it's re-fitted. I really don't know a lot about this, but given the level of electronics now in cars, ( in some cases, even when changing a bulb ) and given the importance of the DPF, not too surprising that there would be a high level of interest in the computer on the DPF performance. As to what would stop a regen..I'm not an expert here either....but I imagine, short start / stop trips would not help...and what about interrupted regens ?? What else would you consider as an underlying cause?
Best Regards, Jim2. :)

OP
Leo46

Leo46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 250 2010 2.1
Garage tried to clean DPF but with no success. Have now had it replaced. When we bought the car the old keeper said he had the car for about 8 months. Today received New Keepers documents and it said he purchased the car December 2018! He definitely pulled a fast one over us. Letter sent to him still hasn't been picked up by him from postie either!

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Letter sent to him still hasn't been picked up by him from postie either!

And he may well refuse to accept it, if he is adept at such practices.

Interesting item,
http://ukprocessserver.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/what-is-process-server-how-do-i.html

The next step could be a Process Server to ensure that your letter is 'delivered' to him. The 'easy' way to do it would be for someone to ask a Test Drive in one of the vehicles that he is offering for sale and then, part way through the drive, "By the way, I have this for you." ;):)

OP
Leo46

Leo46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 250 2010 2.1
And he may well refuse to accept it, if he is adept at such practices.

Interesting item,
http://ukprocessserver.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/what-is-process-server-how-do-i.html

The next step could be a Process Server to ensure that your letter is 'delivered' to him. The 'easy' way to do it would be for someone to ask a Test Drive in one of the vehicles that he is offering for sale and then, part way through the drive, "By the way, I have this for you." ;):)
I'll be knocking on his door next!

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Probably not a good idea unless you take some serious muscle with you.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Probably not a good idea unless you take some serious muscle with you.
Agreed. Follow the due process of law. That keeps you on the right side of it for starters.

OP
Leo46

Leo46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 250 2010 2.1
Still not heard nothing. But got another problem now! Engine overheating!? Parked car up and could smell burning. Opened bonnet everything was roasting, temp on gage 85-90. Front wings hot to touch. Any advice please?

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
It could be the dpf regenerating 90 is the correct running temperature. If you park up during regeneration then the smell of burning is not unusual.

Top Bottom