Race Chip?

OP
M

Mark 2657

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C43 Cabrio
It amuses me that the C43 does not have enough power for you but then again my E350 can frighten me, that said there is plenty of good advice here so I wish you well in your search for more speed.

Robin
It's not about top speed.
I have never maxed it out, it's about the whole driving experience, overtaking is a breeze but.....
My M6 ran 560HP but wasn't as much fun as the C43, that's why it went the journey.
And it did well in the snow
I'd have bought the C63 if it had 4matic, just for the V8 sound.
Am I starting to sound like Clarkson!

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 09/09 (2010 my M273 Engine) Now completed 40K Palladium/Black
I wonder if the cars were made more "flexible" etc., but did not have the uplift in BHP, how many would still pay hundreds of pounds to have their cars mapped.

The first thing anyone ever mentions is the extra power. No one has convinced me yet of when this is actually used other than the ability to overtake slightly more quickly than no doubt in an already powerful car.

No doubt when all of the highly modified car owners get together, they recount how much smoother and better fuel consumption they get, not how much quicker they are at revving and blasting off at traffic lights to justify the cost and "impress" other drivers.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Starting again at the beginning.

The OP alludes to a "race chip" which, in reality, have not been used for many years and have been replaced by tuning boxes. This is what I'm assuming that he means.

Tuning boxes are basically a generic piece of kit which alter a few variables by tricking the car into thinking that it needs more fuel/air at a different period in the rev range. I'm not knocking them as such, in fact I had one on my old E63 a few years ago and it was fine, but they're no substitute for a custom designed map.

Custom mapping, ideally on a rolling road, is the correct way of adjusting a car's performance. This should give the extra power you require and also enable it to be put down correctly, smoothly and efficiently. I mentioned Big Fish Tuning earlier, as the owner is something of an expert on this sort of mapping and has helped me and others out many times, including @Cyclone1 who's currently running his CLS63 at nearly 1000bhp.

When a car leaves the factory it has to meet various conditions in several climates and countries all with different fuels. We are lucky here to have access to high octane fuel so we can adjust the car's computer to take advantage of this. Sure, the car will do a bit itself, usually by just altering the ignition timing slightly but by mapping it, which is basically changing a few parameters, you're telling it what it should be doing for the specific fuel you'll be putting in it. It's also good for altering the torque curve. By that, I mean instead of having all the power kicking in at a certain rev range, which the M157 engine is notorious for, you can smooth it out across the range so it puts the power down a lot smoother as opposed from just throwing the rear end out.

Sorry to have waffled. :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Yep V6 3.0 twin turbo.

It amuses me that the C43 does not have enough power for you but then again my E350 can frighten me, that said there is plenty of good advice here so I wish you well in your search for more speed.

Robin

I don't get the point either - my car (same engine 367hp) has more than enough power for driving on UK and European roads and I cannot see how extra HP and Torque could possibly improve it. These cars already outperform most other cars on the road.

Is the OP looking to be able to out accelerate a M2, M3, M4 etc?

Unless, the OP runs his car on track days and is racing against the clock or somebody else how would remapping improve the car?

I'm ignorant on this & I am happy to be educated.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I don't get the point either - my car (same engine 367hp) has more than enough power for driving on UK and European roads and I cannot see how extra HP and Torque could possibly improve it. These cars already outperform most other cars on the road.

Unless, the OP runs his car on track days and is racing against the clock or somebody else how would remapping improve the car?

I think Dave’s post demonstrates it well. But just to give an example with my E63 which has the M157 engine. It’s a great engine no doubt but isn’t perfect. Before mapping the ‘grunt’ wasn’t there in certain gears and rev ranges, or combination of both. The map has almost completely smoothed that out, it will pick up smoothly and effortlessly from almost anywhere now. So it’s a more comfortable smoother drive.
As almost a by product I get more BHP, not too important (557 up to 684), but the important one is torque, up to 835lb/ft
There really is no downside to these increases and smoother map, not expensive either per se
If I was going all out downpipes , headers and turbos would be next but that is a very slippery slope (ask Dave)...
the 157 is still a bit ‘laggy’ which is a shame, but i believe the 4.0 V8 Bi Turbo which sits in the 213 Dave now owns has all but eliminated that. I can live with it for now.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof

Robin
When I first drove my C350 I thought it was the fastest thing on the road. Now I want more power :rolleyes:.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

The OP alludes to a "race chip" which, in reality, have not been used for many years and have been replaced by tuning boxes. This is what I'm assuming that he means.

Tuning boxes are basically a generic piece of kit which alter a few variables by tricking the car into thinking that it needs more fuel/air at a different period in the rev range. I'm not knocking them as such, in fact I had one on my old E63 a few years ago and it was fine, but they're no substitute for a custom designed map.

Custom mapping, ideally on a rolling road, is the correct way of adjusting a car's performance. This should give the extra power you require and also enable it to be put down correctly, smoothly and efficiently. I mentioned Big Fish Tuning earlier, as the owner is something of an expert on this sort of mapping and has helped me and others out many times, including @Cyclone1 who's currently running his CLS63 at nearly 1000bhp.

When a car leaves the factory it has to meet various conditions in several climates and countries all with different fuels. We are lucky here to have access to high octane fuel so we can adjust the car's computer to take advantage of this. Sure, the car will do a bit itself, usually by just altering the ignition timing slightly but by mapping it, which is basically changing a few parameters, you're telling it what it should be doing for the specific fuel you'll be putting in it. It's also good for altering the torque curve. By that, I mean instead of having all the power kicking in at a certain rev range, which the M157 engine is notorious for, you can smooth it out across the range so it puts the power down a lot smoother as opposed from just throwing the rear end out.

That makes sense, and with what John has said re his E63, you get the more usable power throughout the rev range making the whole experience more enjoyable.

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
Some people (myself included) love the feeling of silly power and nausia generating acceleration (why do people like those rollercoasters that use electromagnets to do 0-80mph in 2.5 seconds?).
Once you get used to the acceleration of your car, that kind of person generally begins to fantasize about having more.

There are less and less places to enjoy the acceleration of a very quick car these days, true, but you can still do it, safely and even within the speed limit. An example would be leaving the toll booth in the outside lane of the M6 Toll: 0-70(ish)mph opportunity. For the infantile (i dip into this group very occasionally), it might be about beating the guy next to you, or surprising him with a level of acceleration that belies the exterior look of the car, but for most it is about the singular experience of controlling so much power with your foot, and the adrenaline rush of the brutal acceleration. (I speak about past experiences and future desire more than current situation)

Add in smoother and more controllable torque, and maybe bragging rights "down the pub" if that floats your boat, and win win.

Some people just don't have this desire, and therefore will never understand it, much like there are those who have no desire for a flash mercedes, afford it or not, they don't understand why people spend so much money on transport.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some people (myself included) love the feeling of silly power and nausia generating acceleration (why do people like those rollercoasters that use electromagnets to do 0-80mph in 2.5 seconds?).
Once you get used to the acceleration of your car, that kind of person generally begins to fantasize about having more.

There are less and less places to enjoy the acceleration of a very quick car these days, true, but you can still do it, safely and even within the speed limit. An example would be leaving the toll booth in the outside lane of the M6 Toll: 0-70(ish)mph opportunity. For the infantile (i dip into this group very occasionally), it might be about beating the guy next to you, or surprising him with a level of acceleration that belies the exterior look of the car, but for most it is about the singular experience of controlling so much power with your foot, and the adrenaline rush of the brutal acceleration. (I speak about past experiences and future desire more than current situation)

Add in smoother and more controllable torque, and maybe bragging rights "down the pub" if that floats your boat, and win win.

Some people just don't have this desire, and therefore will never understand it, much like there are those who have no desire for a flash mercedes, afford it or not, they don't understand why people spend so much money on transport.
Yes, toll roads are a good reason to have an re-map. I do this over the Severn crossing. Just thought, they are removing tolls next year!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes, toll roads are a good reason to have an re-map. I do this over the Severn crossing. Just thought, they are removing tolls next year!!!
When I was in my late tens my mates and I would arrange it so we were coming out the toll gates side by side... good excuse for a drag race :)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I was in my late tens my mates and I would arrange it so we were coming out the toll gates side by side... good excuse for a drag race :)
Great times. You drive through France, they have a few tolls you could try?

OP
M

Mark 2657

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C43 Cabrio

I'm not looking to race anyone or use it on the track but the extra has got to be fun!
After 2 years of ownership I'm ready for bit more.
If the C63 had 4matic I'd have bought one of t6hose.

OP
M

Mark 2657

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C43 Cabrio
Well said, just about sums up why I asked the question.

OP
M

Mark 2657

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C43 Cabrio

Racechip is actually the name of the company who make the plug ad play chip.

OP
M

Mark 2657

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C43 Cabrio
Can I get back to my original question?

Has anyone actually used a Racechip unit?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom