Anyone know much about GL's

OP
V6Matty

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
id say, unless they actually NEED a 4x4 and/or 7 seater, there are far better looking, quicker, more economical cars out there to buy. That said, I have seen a couple and compared to the ML theyre considerably bigger, in appearance at least but I think if I was in the market for something like that, id be tempted to look elsewhere, like the bigger of the Toyota Land Cruisers (amazon?) or similar.
Agree Pete there are probably more capable cars out there but it's a personally choice for him, I'd have suggested a xc90 or land cruiser but he just doesn't like them,

OP
V6Matty

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
XC90 does all that and is extremely capable
New shape yes 100% agree with you there but the old shape is now looking quite tired I think, good car but just lacks something in my mind

Plus if it me buying I'm not allowed anything but a merc to replace the Pug I've been told :rolleyes:

OP
V6Matty

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've had a GL 420CDI for three years. They are great motors with loads of road presence, and as a vehicle, extremely robust. Things to consider, however, they are expensive to run. I do about 350 - 400 miles a week, and on the drive to work (33 miles) typically get between 26 and 29mpg depending on summer/winter and traffic. Round town, 20mpg is doing well!! It costs me about £75-80 a week at current fuel prices.

Servicing is ok, B service from local indie was circa £160, but last one needed brake pads adding another £300. Parts in general can be expensive (mostly because many are large!) so find a good parts shop or make friends with the local merc dealer parts manager so you get a good discount.

Has had a few problems, but it's 11 years old and done 255,000 miles. Had three of the four airbags replaced on the suspension, water pump leak fixed, and did have Black Death, however it still drives like a dream, and very comfortable on long journeys and I love being able to see over the top of all the cars in front in a queue

Cheers,
Bill
Really useful feed back there Bill thank you, servicing sounds very similar experience to what my E class used to be the other bits I guess are wear and tear on part over that age/mileage which are bad in my mind, don't think he's too bothered about mpg as this is cand of holiday car for him as I understand so probably only going to do a few thousand a year, he's used to an R class for that at the moment but fancies something a bit different and I can't really blame him for considering a GL, there is something about them.

OP
V6Matty

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
True, their not cheep by any means

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
New shape yes 100% agree with you there but the old shape is now looking quite tired I think, good car but just lacks something in my mind

Plus if it me buying I'm not allowed anything but a merc to replace the Pug I've been told :rolleyes:
You are 100% right Matt, and that's a good call on the Pug replacement 'policy'!!

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
I noticed that too Richard, not sure what it contains but certainly sounds good lol

On the W164, with off road pro pack, you get increased ground clearance, low range box, locking centre and rear diffs and proper metal shielding on the diffs

With the correct tyres, it turns the W164 from a Chelsea Tractor into a real off road vehicle

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
he's used to an R class for that at the moment but fancies something a bit different and I can't really blame him for considering a GL, there is something about them.

I was going to suggest the R as another option, basically the same car underneath

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Really useful feed back there Bill thank you, servicing sounds very similar experience to what my E class used to be the other bits I guess are wear and tear on part over that age/mileage which are bad in my mind, don't think he's too bothered about mpg as this is cand of holiday car for him as I understand so probably only going to do a few thousand a year, he's used to an R class for that at the moment but fancies something a bit different and I can't really blame him for considering a GL, there is something about them.

One other thing to bear in mind, unlike the ML, and the US GL, the UK spec GL comes with the off-road pack as standard so they will all have DSR, Locking Diffs etc. Also check what tyres it has. Mine has 20" Rims and a full set of Continentals will set you back best part of £1,000 and I get about 25k miles from a set.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
R Class are nice cars ..... ;)

in their own way they are! its just a shame they fell from the top of the ugly tree and hit every single branch on the way down, at least once, when it comes to external styling!!!! was it outsourced to the same team that designs the ssangyongs? (no idea if ive spelled it right BTW)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
in their own way they are! its just a shame they fell from the top of the ugly tree and hit every single branch on the way down, at least once, when it comes to external styling!!!! was it outsourced to the same team that designs the ssangyongs? (no idea if ive spelled it right BTW)

Facelift ones are much better looking

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think there's anything else on the road as ugly as a Ssangyong (used your spelling :rolleyes:)

probably not, but the last R class I saw ran it pretty close!! I'm sure theyre a great car for what theyre meant to do, but seriously what were they thinking when they designed it?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
probably not, but the last R class I saw ran it pretty close!! I'm sure theyre a great car for what theyre meant to do, but seriously what were they thinking when they designed it?

I don't think they look too disimilar from a B Class from the front .... obviously bigger though

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think they look too disimilar from a B Class from the front .... obviously bigger though

from the front I wouldn't say the B class is a great looker either though.....

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom