£3k detail on a Veyron

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Then a prospective customer, Sheik Khaled Big Wallet takes it for a test drive as its a colour he hasn't got and the process needs doing again.

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
To be fair thats not bad for what they are doing.

car costs 2.5mil
detail costs 3k = 0.12%

So on a 20k car thats the equivalent of us paying £24 for a valet :rolleyes:

MarcE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E350 Sport Cabriolet
To be honest I dont know the guys at Topaz but from the pictures its a lot of smoke and mirrors to me. The system they are using is not effective in any defects they are finding because its too large a broad spectrum for specific correction on small imperfections. It will be a generic correction and lovely to look at imperfections in carbon and clear but worthless because its irrelevant just nice viewing material.
They are using a Delfesko PTG and know the depths of the Veyron being between 120 and 180 microns this will only give them an average of around 60 microns to play with. In 8 hours to have used the layer specific gauges they would have needed to have gelled the clear coat to get the readings so they would have opted for a simple depth test.
They are also using Rupes 15mm throw Bigfoots combined with Mequiars or Rupes Microfibre pads although from the thickness of the foam lower layer I would guess Mequiars and id bet a heavy sum on using the D300 compound with it.
The Veyron paintwork isn't too tricky and no matter of microscope investigation you cant remove a defect in its entirety without removing a good 2" all around it unless edging and I doubt they would be doing that.
Working on a Veyron is no different to working on a MK2 Fiesta, paintwork is paintwork and clear coat is clear coat, you remove 2 to 3 microns regardless of the value of the car.
I would personally say working on Mercedes Ceramiclearcoat or Mitsubishi paintwork which is regularly only 60 or 70 microns and sometimes showing sticky paint like Porsches would be harder.
Fair play for reaping in the money for the timing but like all the high rolling costs coming in for the Bugatti's and Ferrari's in the media, press and large views in forums a lot of it is marketing and I've been involved it in the past, and at this dealership and on Bugattis Veyron Demonstrator.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom