114 leaky air intake..

gatur

Reaction score
I've pretty much established that my lovely 114 is leaking water from the air intake under the bonnet into the front foot-wells as I can see it trickling out as I pour water into the intake. The intake drain seems clear as water pours freely into the engine compartment. If this intake box is corroded in some way has any member any experience or advice as to the best method of repair?
Cheers, Garry T

TimN

Reaction score
To do the job properly you will need to get access to the bulkhead by stripping out the centre consule, heater unit and probably the dash as well. If your really keen and the car is in otherwise mint condition you could drill out the spot welds that hold the two panels that create the plenum chamber together and cut out the rot, weld in new metal prime and the weld the two panels back together.

Alternatively if you are looking for the quick easy and most of all cheep solution then I think that you can remove the air intake panel. With the bonnet open you will see four or five plastic fixing heads. Push the centres through and the prise the heads out. You might have to remove a windscreen wiper. The panel should hopefully come out. Clean any debris out of the plenum chamber, degrease it and apply liberal amounts of panel mastic which comes in brushable form from your local paint factors.

OP
G

gatur

Reaction score
Tim
Thank you for the reply. Pretty much confirms my suspicions..

Regards,

Garry T

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom