170 PSE Pump

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its a well known fact that these pumps fill with water due to the silly way that they are installed.

The modification is to turn them upside down, to do this you may have to extend the existing wiring harness with an part from MB, but there is another problem in that the existing plug (the one where the water runs down) gets so badly corroded that the pins break off.

So what does one do, to replace this plug is very expensive so why not cut the plug off and we can deal with that later.

You can ask any questions on the forum

When the water gets onto the PCB the the corrosion start eating away at the copper tracks, the corrosion gets under both sockets as can be seen in the picture.
DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

Using lighter fuel and a toothbrush the corrosion is washed away and allowed to dry on both sides of the PCB.

The next thing is to test the continuity of the tracks, in this sample pin 3 yellow/red lead was so bad the printed copper track had gone completely, also the pin had broken right off so I took the new lead from the diode in the corner as in the picture. Although many pins are not used the copper track must still be made good as they are used for other parts in the circuits. A bleep meter is best as one can work quickly without looking at the meter, I had to make good 3 parts of the tracks. I soldered wires 30cm long into the PCB directly as we will not be using the plug any more, these wires can be joined to the existing and it will now be possible to turn the pump upside down.
The next picture shows the wires soldered in and the PCB all lacquerd on both sides
DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

MB quoted £1500 to fix this car, I am used to electronics so no problem for me, if you are not good and very well equipped with the de soldering gear needed then why not ask a TV guy to do it for you, I would estimate £50 for doing what I have done here.
All that is left now is to join the wire together best done by soldering them and use a heat shrink sleeving

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom