190E heater fuse blowing

johntom

Reaction score
Hi
i've just bought a 190e, 1991 2.0 auto. When I tried the heater blower (on max) it seem to work for a second then stop. When I checked the fuse box the 16a (fuse no'1) had blown, but someone had stuck a paper clip in!. Thinking it was a bad connection I replaced it with a new 16A. When I tried the heater it ran at max for a few seconds, then blew. How do i solve this, Any ideas?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
johntom said:
Hi
i've just bought a 190e, 1991 2.0 auto. When I tried the heater blower (on max) it seem to work for a second then stop. When I checked the fuse box the 16a (fuse no'1) had blown, but someone had stuck a paper clip in!. Thinking it was a bad connection I replaced it with a new 16A. When I tried the heater it ran at max for a few seconds, then blew. How do i solve this, Any ideas?

You will need to take the blower unit out and maybe lubricate the bearings.
the comutators do wear, see what its like when you take it out.

Malcolm

OP
J

johntom

Reaction score
Hi
thanks for the reply, do i remove the blower unit from the bulkhead side or is it under dash?
thanks Johntom

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As 190e nut says it is a hard job, are the wires easy to get to so that a test could be done in the car, or is the ressistor pack stopping access.

malcolm

OP
J

johntom

Reaction score
Hi
thanks for the reply. I had a look tonight, but couldn't get the cover off from behind the bulk head !.How would you test it in the car?. The heater works fine on 1,11,111, (although very little towards the screen) it blows on max after about 2 seconds.
thanks Johntom

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
to test on the car you need to access the live wire that comes from the ressistor pack to the motor (the other one is ground)this wire must be taken off the ressistor pack and join this up to a battery with an ammeter in serries to see the consuption.

<malcolm

LNM

Reaction score
Its not that bad; look for "190 blower knacked"

Two things make it easier and possible: get the bonnet vertical and loosen the middle bulkhead panel and pull this toward the radiator.

£15 replacement from Dronsfields.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom