190e tapping away loudly

mcnevermind

Reaction score
This problem has been getting progressivly worse but ive not had time to sort.

My 1.8 190e petrol taps like noisy diesel when i fire it up. The engine sounds likes a load of tiny hammers smacking on stuff!

The problem goes after a few miles and the noise settles down. That said my engine is still whistling a bit even after a good distance. Its only done
100k.

Suggestions please? thanks

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
This is an early model and I might be wrong, but i think your oil pump has a problem.

Stevie A

Reaction score
It's likely to be the tappets or "valve lifters" that are tapping away until the engine has heated up. This is a common thing on older Merc engines. The valve lifters can be replaced and they are not too expensve. I don't know what the whistling is, I'd be more concerned about that than the tappets.

Have an assistant start the engine with the bonnet open and listen to the tapping and if it's from the top of the engine it's the tappets.

kiwi_bloke

Reaction score
I Concur with lifters / tappets.

However I would first try running some engine flush, and changing the oil and filter. Also ensure you have the correct grade of oil. Not sure what this is but I used to use 15W - 40 in my old girl without a problem.

Also, in reply to the suggestion about the oil pump, whats your oil pressure at?

You can also check if theres oil pumping around by taking the oil filler cap off when running (very messy if you not carefull)

OP
M

mcnevermind

Reaction score
I'll give the engine flush and change a go first.....my pressures ok but the problem did go for a while the last time i changed the oil

Im using 15/40 semi synthetic at the mo

thanks for the tips

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Hi

All sounds like your hydraulic tappets ok. Had to change all 12 on the wifes 124 they were about £10 ea from memory. Quiet as a mouse chewing paper after the change.

frank133

Reaction score
tappets

Hi I would replace the tappets soons possible,its a straight forward job,I have replaced the tappets,twice on this 190.
you can remove each tappet insert a piece of wire into the bottom and see if the ball valve is stuck,That is what I done years ago and just replaced the bad ones.Totaly false economy it was okay for a few months.Then I couldnt remember which ones I had changed.So I bought the complete set and changed them all.I did turn the engine over without the oil feed to the lifters being connected.bad mistake the engine started and pumped the oil about two foot in the air before I could shut it down.Shop around for the hydraulic lifters they are a lot cheaper in some places [I buy most of my merc stuff from E.C.P.]cheers

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom