1988 230TE Estate - Rear Subframe Bushes

Mad Professor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
230TE/1988/2.3
Good Day All.

I am starting to get knocking from the back of the car when changing from D to R, or after braking and then pulling away.

I would guess that it would be a sign that the Rear Subframe Bushes.
But due to the cold and wet weather I have not yet had time to look under the car at all the bushes.

The last time I had to replace rear subframe bushes was on a Skyline, and I had to remove the hole rear axle / sunframe and burn out the old bushes and press in the new ones.

Would I have to do the same with my Merc and how meny bushes are there to replace.

And what is the best bushes to get OE, Patten, Or aftermarket bushes like powerflex, ect.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
It is highly likely the nearside diff bush worn out, which allows the diff casing to hit the car body.

Bit of a pig of a job as DIY, although the proper Merc bushes themslves are cheap enough.

Just recently done mine with the special tool.

Where you based, anywhere near me ?

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
My 250D had eaten the front subframe bushes, its lovely now there changed.

To diagnose mine I lay on floor beneath the car (parked one wheel on the kerb) to observe the subframe as an assitant rocked the car from R to D (on tickover) with the parking brake very firmly applied, and the worn bushes became immediately apparent the prim culprit was the RH front bush but all 4 were replaced.

samm

Reaction score
special tool for rear subframe bushes

hi there guyd I am looking to change the 4 rear subframe bushes on my 91 300E. Any of the members have this tool that I could borrow from you or even rent at a reasonable cost? If not anyone know ehre I can buy it from?
I just dont want to go about it the hard way and spend hours forcing out the old bushes!
I live in west London if that has any importance..

By the way I am changing all wear items on the rear axle because I feel like the car is driving on ice when I take corners (only from rear, ALL front wear items have been replaced) and there seems to be a thud sometimes from the nearside rear wheel when I take certain corners.

My pocket is running on empty what with all the repairs/changes I have had to do in past 2 months....:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome Samm, cant help with the loan of a tool, but wiremans post on how to check is very good, must remember that one:D

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
If the car is steering from the rear replace the rear diagonal camber control arms. £15 each from Mercedes

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

samm

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all,
Bolide, the car steers from the right as you describe it. extraordinarily worse today. Going over drin covers and slight dips instantly makes the rear of the car sway as if it would lose control from rear. I was told on friday when I did the wheel alignment that the rear camber was 'way off' on the right rear wheel and my tyres are getting eaten on the inside.

Nick would the parts guy at the merc dealer know exactly what I am talking about if I said ' rear diagonal camber control arm'?
So does this mean it is not related to the subframe bushes? I just changed all four tyres continental and a new steering box and front alignment as well as four new shocks (which are the wrong ones incidently bought te Bilstein comfort ones when I should have bought Bilstein Sport for lowered suspension). Springs eibach pro kit were changed about 2500 miles ago also. Havent been able to catch a break with the steering/suspension!!

Really appreciate your help,
Thank you kindly
Sam

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
There are a few things to look at. There are two rear arms that are cheap to replace and, from memory, are in front of the axle. There's also a pivot bush at the bottom of the rear leg that can wear or seize. The rear leg top mounts have rubber bushes that are cheap to replace. Finally the suspension legs mount to the lower suspension arms with two bolts. If they're loose the rear suspension clangs & clanks like a swine

You say you've replaced the shock absorbers with Bilstein Sports & replaced the springs. The car has no rear shock absorbers so I am not sure what's been done. The rear "shock absorbers" are hydraulic suspension struts or legs and the damping & springing is taken care of by a hydraulic system with nitrogen-pressurised spheres

Back to the beginning: I suspect your rear subframe mounts may be the root cause of the rear steer. If the rear tyres are feathered & worn at the edges then suspect the rear damping, suspension arms and possibly the rear wheel bearings. But if, as you say, the rear tyre(s) are wearing in a strange pattern then you almost definitely have a worn or loose rear suspension arm. You need an expert to lean on the suspension with a big pry bar to see what's worn

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

samm

Reaction score
Nick thanks for all you advice so far, really appreciate it. Im going to have everything replaced in the rear. All the items that are worn or may get worn because I dont want to just keep trying things and not solving it.
So Im going to get all the bushes and the camber control arms like you suggested. Its going to cost about £250 or so in parts I think then a further £40 for rear tracking to be done. Plus I just picked up 2 rear Bilstein Sport struts (because I have the comfort ones installed and the car is Eibach Pro springs, so I have wrong ones installed). Will also need to buy the front Bilstein Sport shock absorbers as well in due course.

However, I have a very important question, how exactly would I get the old bushes out from the rear subframe? Is there a method without a special tool? If not then what tool will I need?

Always appreciated!!
Sam

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
ECP offered me a kit of all the rear end arms for £130 +vat recently, they may have some left.

Hacking and burning seems to be the way to extract the old sub frame bushes, just don't burn off the under seal whilst you attack each bush.

If you are doing the full job, once its away from the car the subframe becomes quite accessible but its a little heavy to move around.

samm

Reaction score
Hey, thank you so much for the response,

I guess Im going to have to take it competely away and spend hours getting them out...

How about insertion? Whats the best way to put the new bushes back in?

Thank you kindly for your help!

Sam

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hey, thank you so much for the response,

I guess Im going to have to take it competely away and spend hours getting them out...

How about insertion? Whats the best way to put the new bushes back in?

Thank you kindly for your help!

Sam

I just looked this up for another car and the is a simple tool like a U that goes over the bush and pushes it out.

I can send you a copy

nine468

Reaction score
Hey folks.
Just been looking into this problem myself.
The [rear subframe] front bushes on our SLK manual seem to be worn.
I seems that this problem is fairly common on "C" class cars. After speaking to a few indies...
Now the parts seem reasonable priced , a kit to do 2 rear bushes is approx £50 ish.
Has anybody done this job.???
Did the bushes come out "easily" .??
Im hoping the rear subframe doesnt have to be removed completely, as this would entail a HUGE amount of work...Just for 2 bushes...

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom