1992 190E Electric Window Not Working

gsoh

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently bought a used 1992 190E. The front driver's window and rear passenger window are in the closed position and do not work. I've browsed through the "electric window problem" threads in this forum and I'd like to know what I should do in terms of trouble-shooting the cause of the problem.
The possibilities I've read were: switch problem, relay problem, motor problem, perhaps clipped wires. How do I trouble shoot for each of those? Any help is appreciated!

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
Lighted Electric Probe

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your windows. :(

Some of what you've heard about MB and the wiring is true. I have found out that a lot of times trying to hash out what appears to be simple and straight forward process will take me into another unrelated direction.

Such as:

(1) The automatic climate controls, vacuum tree and recirculation switch will not function correctly unless the exterior light switch is plugged into the wiring harness.

(2) Turn singles will not work unless the hazard light switch is installed.

One is related and the other is not. :rolleyes:

I have managed to get through this with a good set of wiring diagrams, a simple lighted electrical test probe, other cheap inexpensive electrical tools and one simple rule "make sure everything is plugged back in". :p

Enough said... as far as your windows. I would first take out the lighted electrical probe and test the plugs for power if you have power then get a new switch.

Hope This Helps!

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
I'd check for power where the leads connect to the motors. No power there: I'd suspect either the switch (dirty contacts?), or a break in the wire.

If there's power to the motor: motor plain bearings could just need lubricating because of lack of use (was fairly simple to do on my C280), or perhaps motor kaput (e.g. worn out brushes). The rear window is more likely to be because of lack of use I think. Unless the car's been used as a taxi.

Best of luck,
Ron

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom