1992 230TE Rattles on Startup

Reaction score
I've just begun to notice my W124 230TE rattles from the top end for approx 5-10 seconds when starting from cold, now I know this is probably a sign of the oil draining from the head and hence starting dry, but why? and how can I stop this because if starting dry it will wear the cam quicker than a Vindaloo passing through my system. :D

Or is this normal :confused: probably not, me thinks.

Thx in advance
Noddy

Last edited:
OP
N
Reaction score
After reading a previous thread with the same symptoms I've just checked the oil and it is bang on max, would it be advisable to drain some out?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not think that you can stop this, its very normal after many miles, you could try a different oil, could it be the timing chain tensioner that you can hear

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
The nose is the tappets before oil pressure has reached its max in them. Could be a number of things. The old school remedy is to throw about a ltr of atf in the engine oil 150 miles or so before an oil change. This clears out the oil galleries and helps maintain oil pressure within them. There is also the possibilitie that it will induce oil leaks from other places, like the crankshaft seals etc. (posted this last bit before the knockers start up :rolleyes:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The nose is the tappets before oil pressure has reached its max in them. Could be a number of things. The old school remedy is to throw about a ltr of atf in the engine oil 150 miles or so before an oil change. This clears out the oil galleries and helps maintain oil pressure within them. There is also the possibilitie that it will induce oil leaks from other places, like the crankshaft seals etc. (posted this last bit before the knockers start up :rolleyes:)

No knockers Ian:D :D :D would have to be hard pushed to do that to you

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom