1996 s500 steering solid

weewaw

Reaction score
hi there am on this for the first time. i have a problem got stuck in snow,and now ma steering is solid. the belt is still on the ps fluid was low put some fluid in and made no difference also no apparent leaks. now when i hold a steady rev on it the hydraulic fluid is coming out the top of the bottle. took belt off and thats stopped. need help instinic is ps pump any ideas guys

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the MB forum.

I must say that this is something that has never come up before, do you have the dual pump on yours, or the single.

Could it be a fault in the power steering box,, there is a blow off valve if the pressure goes too high,

See what others think

OP
W

weewaw

Reaction score
thanks
It is a duel pump and i think the fluid is mixing when i put the fluid in it was as if it was going straight into the hydraulic bottle and thats why it was overflowing.

I took the pump off and split it. It seems as if the large black O ring was not in the right place. do you think this could cause this fault. cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I have any info on this box I will come back with that info

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I have sent you the rebuilding instructions for the box and the correct filling

4 Papers sent in all good luck:D

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Has anyone adjusted the steering box recently to remove any slack or play in the steering?

jib

OP
W

weewaw

Reaction score
No its been fine got stuck in snow and its after that it happened

OP
W

weewaw

Reaction score
thanks malcom got your e mails.

OP
W

weewaw

Reaction score
only got 3 e mails malcom one did'nt work. the ones i got dont look like the ps pump i took off. its the one with the plastic bottle. are they basically the same. thanks stuart

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There were 2 paper for the rebuilding,, the S500 is not listed and the only ones I had were for the 420

The steering box papers 1 and 2 were the main ones

One was called filling and the other steering box

OP
W

weewaw

Reaction score
got it now thanks again
still dont think its the same one i have.
is it common or have you heard of the seals blowing between the two pumps causing the steering to go hard and no assistance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing listed and its never come up on any forum that I belong to.

I noticed on one paper that the steering has to be on full lock when filling, this opens the blow off valve

power-steering

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Maybe I can shed some light.. due to the recent snow we've had a lot of these in and most it is down to the pumps failing!

However, did you say it's pushing the fluid back up through the resevoir? - If it is, it sounds as though you've got a restriction somewhere in the system so I would suggest the following..

1. Disconnect the high pressure hose from the pump.

2. Turn the key to start the car, it SHOULD (if the pump is working) squirt fluid out at high pressure across your engine bay from the pump. - If it doesn't, then your pump is knackered but if it does then the pump is fine.

3. Reconnect the high pressure hose to the pump, and disconnect it from the box-end. Now repeat step two... If it squirts out at high pressure, then pump AND high pressure hose are fine.. if it just trickles out, then you've got a restriction in your high pressure hose.

If it squirts out the pump and high pressure hose then it's a problem with your box.

Either way we can rectify all these issues if you don't want to do it yourself, very affordable and with full 12 months warranty for peace of mind.

Give us a call on 0208 853 3343.

Good luck mate.

Cheers,
Jay

Top Bottom