2003 E200K will not crank

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Hi Guys been a while since I've posted,
As happens every year I declare my car off road for the winter, normally not a problem, but this year was different.
When I put the key into the ignition I didn't get the customary whir click, nothing, it didn't try to crank, dead, I might add that I have a C/Tek battery charger connected 24/7
I thought the obvious thing will be a dead battery, I took it out and connected it to my other C/Tek charger CT5 and it went through the stages normally to the maintenance part.
I then thought I haven't changed the batteries in the key for years, so I used the spare key, never been used, after I put the battery back in the car I then tried to start it again, this time it recognised the key, but it still wouldn't crank.

I must add the car is twenty years old, and has done 38,000 miles, this battery is only the second in the cars history a Varta double life AGM, it doesn't get driven much these days,
but it does get maintained, and was serviced last year, and I intended getting the tyres changed this summer. I can here you say what you keeping it for ? well as its hardly worth a fortune I thought I would keep it as I can't bare to part with it. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Have you checked the condition of the auxilliary battery under the pollen filter in the engine compartment?
Make sure that is fully charged as well.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If your car has been in storage -look for mice, rats, may have chewed a cable.. Have you put a volt meter on the battery.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Can you turn it over by hand? If so check all Yr earth's are good, use a meter or test light. Check the live red is live at starter. Check if any relay involved, Check if solenoid gets energized, if u have access try an old screwdriver across main starter terminals. If u don't know. Google it for utube vid. U may have very restricted access to starter (modern CRXP) in which case ur looking for someone in the know to help. U don't want to short ur screwdriver thru something unintended and exaggerate the drama.

OP
D

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Have you checked the condition of the auxilliary battery under the pollen filter in the engine compartment?
Make sure that is fully charged as well.
Thanks for your reply the auxiliary battery was replaced last year. and I had the main battery checked and was on full charge.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
Just a thought as my car is 19yo and this gave me problems.....
Is the gear selector reporting the correct position? It started with the car going into limp mode. Checked codes and got 'gear selector position implausible.' Fitted a s/h replacement which was worse; at switch on it would sometimes indicate N, but sometimes would change to D, preventing engine from starting.

OP
D

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Just a thought as my car is 19yo and this gave me problems.....
Is the gear selector reporting the correct position? It started with the car going into limp mode. Checked codes and got 'gear selector position implausible.' Fitted a s/h replacement which was worse; at switch on it would sometimes indicate N, but sometimes would change to D, preventing engine from starting.
The car was perfectly ok when wrapped up for the winter, the gear selector is locked in park, i would think till the car starts.

OP
D

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
I may have narrowed the problem down to the starter solenoid, but I can't find a diagram to show me which one it is, i've checked the fuse which is ok.
looking on u tube they don't really show you,

OP
D

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
I may have narrowed the problem down to the starter relay but I can't find a diagram to show me which one it is, I've checked the fuse which is ok, i think they said it was fuse 57 on the tube.
They don't really show you which one is the starter relay. any help would be appreciated.

elijohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2003 e320 3.2l V6 rwd sedan
Try wiggling around all the wires on your battery (make sure terminals and wires in terminals are getting a good connection) wiggle all the wires around on the starter they should all be tight and in good condition. The small wire right next to the big wire on the starter should be the solenoid wire that runs to the fuse box (mine ran up behind the alternator and is purple) but I have a 2003w211 could be different. Biggest thing is just make sure everything is getting a CLEAN CONNECTION. then you can start looking for shorts or ground faults or a new starter.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom