2005 E320CDI Estate -steering

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Boxster S Mini Cooper E250cdi estate 2013
Hello I'm new on here and thought someone might have an answer to my steering problems as so far MB in Newbury haven't! I've seen a few similar posts on this and read your replies but I think my problem is slightly different.
When driving in town about 25-30 mph the steering wheel has a noticeable "shimmy" - this stops as you get a bit faster. When in atraffic queue the steering wheel starts moving to the left on its own! If you turn it a bit to the right it comes back again in little jerks and ends up going to the left a bit. As far as I can see there is no uneven wear on the front tyres though they are down to about 2mm. I also get the pull to the left at speed irrespective of the camber of the road. Any ideas?

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Hello and welcome.

Almost certainly a tyre out of shape, or a wheel out of balance.

Get the tracking done properly and the wheel balance checked. Elite Wheels and tyres in Reading have the kit to do 4 wheel laser alignment.

OP
R

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome.

Get the tracking done properly and the wheel balance checked. Elite Wheels and tyres in Reading have the kit to do 4 wheel laser alignment.

Thanks Richard that's reassuring as i imagined some terminal problem with the power steering!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not think that any wheel faults would appear at under 30-40 mph.

I will have a look later at the power steering faults list later

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Sorry I had missed the bit in the OP about the wheel moving at stationary.

I take it that the dealership have checked the fluid?

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
Broken front spring or siezed top mounting? maybe maybe not

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi rothbury, i have a 97. e300. td. 7 seater estate. i have the slight pulling to the left problem. i tried the full four wheel alignment laser check, new tyres, etc. even had the steering wheel taken off and straight ahead aligned. eventually i was advised to visit a exp, merc. man in southport, lancs, he said this is quite common on the big mercs, they learn the camber. i am talking very slight pull, no noise and more of a nuisense than anything else, if your veh. is more noticable then more attention to your steering geometry and hydraulics may be required. best of luck. herbiemercman.

OP
R

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi rothbury, i have a 97. e300. td. 7 seater estate. i have the slight pulling to the left problem. i tried the full four wheel alignment laser check, new tyres, etc. even had the steering wheel taken off and straight ahead aligned. eventually i was advised to visit a exp, merc. man in southport, lancs, he said this is quite common on the big mercs, they learn the camber. i am talking very slight pull, no noise and more of a nuisense than anything else, if your veh. is more noticable then more attention to your steering geometry and hydraulics may be required. best of luck. herbiemercman.

Thanks for all your helpful advice everyone! The car is going back in next week so I'll let you know the outcome. I have passed on all the thoughts to the service department.

OP
R

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome.

Mb Newbury managed to have the car for a whole day and gave it me back in
the same state, Took it to Protech near kingsclere and he was first rate. Checked it all out and indeed a tyre WAS out of shape and tracking all out.
Headley tyres fitted two new fronts and all is well. Thank you all for your input.
Incidentally while your server was down I went on to another forum and picked up a bit of a tip about " getting your E class accelerating fast when you push the throttle". Don't know whether you 've read it but it entails switching ignition to position 1, pushing accelerator flat to the floor, holding it for thirty seconds then switching off and not starting for 2 minutes.
Appe[arently this resets the ecu to factory settings. Believe it or not the car is much more responsive now. Anyone heard of this?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom