2008 c220 cdi 4 cylinder glow control module location?

Deebm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 c220 cdi
Hi all, total noob here so please bear with me. I have a 2008 c220 cdi 4 cylinder that started becoming difficult to start, had it diagnosed as glow plugs faulty which has killed the glow module so so have purchased new heater plugs and glow module but can't seem to find where the glow module is located on my car. I've trawled the Web but can't find a definitive answer as to its location. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance - Dee. Any pics would be great!

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
Hi Deebm,

I'm looking at doing the same job this weekend L(

Where did you buy the control module? I've been ringing around all day and no-one I spoke to has them in stock so looking at ordering on-line from Germany with delivery "assured" for Friday. Why Germany? 'cos it was the best price I could find by far :(

According to WIS the controller is located under the engine on the passenger side - fixed onto the charge air manifold. You have to remove the bottom section of sound proofing to get at it. Just what you need on a cold winter's morning :(

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
TBH if you have the new module comparing it to the unit under the bonnet should give it away.
Looking for the two heavy duty cables plugging into the underside should help to locate.

I would spend the next couple of days spraying the glow plugs with WD40 and running the engine up to temp. It can help the old plugs come out without shearing, they're delicate things.

OP
D

Deebm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 c220 cdi
Hi guys, I got the module used off ebay about a week ago but having not been able to find it haven't got around to fitting it yet. Based on where Brizzle says it's located it's no wonder I couldn't find the damn thing! I've seen other pictures and posts saying it was under a small bracket on top of the engine and a 10 minute job to fit then got the sinking feeling as I searched for it and is wasn't there . May have to see if I can borrow a friends ramp to sort this now. As for the plugs I've seen some horror stories but as suggested by m80 warming the engine and liberal amounts of wd40 should help in removing them, thats assuming I can get it to start now as it was bad enough to start when I parked it up before the snow started last week! Thanks for the reply guys I'll let you know how I get on with it this weekend.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... warming the engine and liberal amounts of wd40 should help in removing them, ....

WD40 as it's its name suggests, is a water disperser. You need Plusgas or other penetrating oil.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Of course it goes without saying that putting a highly volatile, flammable liquid onto a hot engine, needs an element of caution :rolleyes:

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
Hi guys, I got the module used off ebay about a week ago but having not been able to find it haven't got around to fitting it yet. Based on where Brizzle says it's located it's no wonder I couldn't find the damn thing! I've seen other pictures and posts saying it was under a small bracket on top of the engine and a 10 minute job to fit then got the sinking feeling as I searched for it and is wasn't there . May have to see if I can borrow a friends ramp to sort this now. As for the plugs I've seen some horror stories but as suggested by m80 warming the engine and liberal amounts of wd40 should help in removing them, thats assuming I can get it to start now as it was bad enough to start when I parked it up before the snow started last week! Thanks for the reply guys I'll let you know how I get on with it this weekend.

We'll have to compare notes afterwards :)

I binned my ramps when we moved house back in May - they were well rusty - so will have to go buy another set :(

Good luck :)

OP
D

Deebm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 c220 cdi
Thanks for the luck, as suggested I've run the car for an hour tonight and soaked the plugs in penetrating oil which I'll do every night until Saturday when I do the job, and yes Brizzle you were spot on as to the location of the module thank-you, a friends son who is a mechanic confirmed it for me today and offered to give me a hand if needed so feeling better about it now. Just hope those plugs come out now

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for the luck, as suggested I've run the car for an hour tonight and soaked the plugs in penetrating oil which I'll do every night until Saturday when I do the job, and yes Brizzle you were spot on as to the location of the module thank-you, a friends son who is a mechanic confirmed it for me today and offered to give me a hand if needed so feeling better about it now. Just hope those plugs come out now
Good to hear , I take it you have researched what torque is required for those particular G/plugs , and also some ceramic grease for the threads so they come out in the future .
I was given the tip to take them out with a low torque wrench setting ( 5nm) , so if they were seized then you wouldn't snap them .

OP
D

Deebm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 c220 cdi
Just a quick update on this, I tackled the job this weekend and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting thanks to the help and advice from members of this forum. After dousing the plugs and running the engine up to temp they all came out relatively easily, I installed the new ones with some high temp grease on the threads to make any future removals easier. The glow module once on the ramp was a simple job once the heat shield obscuring it was removed and now the car starts on the button with no smoke. Once again thanks guys for all your help it really is appreciated.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom