2008 E220cdi Heavy Steering

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
Hi all

Desperate for some advice.....

When I brought the E220 60 miles home I noticed that it has quite 'firm' steering - but firm as in not the speed related, cosseted luxury car variety of soft the my non-Merc is.... just proper steering for proper men lol

Yesterday I borrowed it for some chores and the steering is now distinctly heavy, a two handed operation at all times - which in Milton Keynes is quite uncomfortable
The pump isn't noisy or squeaky but the steering is awful.
I'll check the fluid level in the morning - but is this a known, common, familiar thing that someone will say "do that" to resolve so I can order the bits and get my man to sort.......or is it more Mercedes diagnostic dice and witchcraft?
PS. I've checked the build card, it's not speed sensitive, currently it's distinctly insensitive
Thanks all
J

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi all

Desperate for some advice.....

When I brought the E220 60 miles home I noticed that it has quite 'firm' steering - but firm as in not the speed related, cosseted luxury car variety of soft the my non-Merc is.... just proper steering for proper men lol

Yesterday I borrowed it for some chores and the steering is now distinctly heavy, a two handed operation at all times - which in Milton Keynes is quite uncomfortable
The pump isn't noisy or squeaky but the steering is awful.
I'll check the fluid level in the morning - but is this a known, common, familiar thing that someone will say "do that" to resolve so I can order the bits and get my man to sort.......or is it more Mercedes diagnostic dice and witchcraft?
PS. I've checked the build card, it's not speed sensitive, currently it's distinctly insensitive
Thanks all
J
That no right at all . Consider returning to the seller ?
Check the pas fluid level
State of and make of front tyres with pressures .
Might be a tracking alignment issue .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’d be checking tyre pressures first

OP
c15htn

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
Well, it could just be because I'm used to something entirely different, but having dipped it, nothing appeared on the dipstick - although I could see some in the tank.

Added around 125ml, now in max cold mark, been for a spin and it does feel much better in relation to the other day - still very manly compared to the non-merc - in sure the wife will love it..... its not too dissimilar to her Voyager now tbh.

I'll check tyres etc next time it isn't absolutely hammering it down!

J

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well, it could just be because I'm used to something entirely different, but having dipped it, nothing appeared on the dipstick - although I could see some in the tank.

Added around 125ml, now in max cold mark, been for a spin and it does feel much better in relation to the other day - still very manly compared to the non-merc - in sure the wife will love it..... its not too dissimilar to her Voyager now tbh.

I'll check tyres etc next time it isn't absolutely hammering it down!

J
I set my tyres at 32-33 ( cold) .
What make tyres are they ?
Are they wearing evenly ? (Tracking issue if not )
Better check for leaks if the power steering fluid was that low .

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom