2012 B180 Sport ecu remapping issue

jac114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 Sport
Hi all. Unfortunately my first post is a problem post. I put my B180 Sport 1.8 cdi in for a ecu remap. The garage took it for a test drive and confirmed all was good. But when leaving I gave it 3 runs down the same stretch of road. The first two went well and it pulled well under acceleration through all gears and rev range but on the third run it bogged down in second after hitting the rev limited and almost felt like it went into limp mode and the same when I changed to 3rd but then suddenly picked up as if it was massive turbo lag. I parked the car up at home until I had to go out later and the car was all good with mo issues (But that was only with moderate acceleration) then later again at night I took it out and did a full throttle run which was good but on the return run the bogging down happened again in 2nd and 3rd but this time it didnt pick up. so I pulled over and turned the ignition off and key out for 30 seconds and the car went back to being o.k and accelerated as normal. Could this be an issue with the remap or another issue. The remap was a stage 1 so it took it from 109bhp to 165bhp. Nothing else done to the car

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Take it back to the outfit that remapped it and get them to fix it.
Sounds like a poor remap. If they can't fix it, remove the map and get a refund.

By the way, make sure you tell your insurance company you have remapped it or risk non pay out in the event of an accident.
You need to advise all modifications although not all will increase the premium.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I agree with the above, it’s a poor quality remap.

I can’t recall the details for root causes of your symptoms on other cars as I’m not into it like I used to be but, with a good map (and supporting mods where applicable), the performance will be consistent, sustained every time.

I wonder if it’s got anything to do with your IAT rising and starting to cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jac114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 Sport

I can’t recall the details for root causes of your symptoms on other cars as I’m not into it like I used to be but, with a good map (and supporting mods where applicable), the performance will be consistent, sustained every time.

I wonder if it’s got anything to do with your IAT rising and starting to cause issues.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on acronyms but what's IAT ?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Air intake temps.
I recall when i was having my cars mapped some 20/15yrs ago, many poor quality maps would cause havoc with intake temps etc on the same cars with other owners and mappers. Issues such as inconsistent performance when pushed, and I recall items like detonation, fuel trims and intake temps being key areas that needed careful attention.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I have to say that if I wanted to drive with full throttle runs and hitting the rev limiter, I wouldn’t choose a 1.8 B Class. There is a reason that the B Class is the only model never touched by AMG!

OP
J

jac114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 Sport
I have to say that if I wanted to drive with full throttle runs and hitting the rev limiter, I wouldn’t choose a 1.8 B Class. There is a reason that the B Class is the only model never touched by AMG!
Thanks for your help.

OP
J

jac114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 Sport

Cars going back in tomorrow for a diagnostic read. Then the map software is going to be tweaked.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It’s your car but personally I’d have it put back to stock find a recommended tuner. Whilst it’s possible a map can throw issues gone undetected, it sounds like you didn’t have any issues before the map. I fear they may try and waste your time and money blaming other things over their map/skills.

Too many mappers nowadays and in my day lots of similar cars were going bang with piston damage, performance variation etc. I still have mine today and they are 100% reliable, running strong, never burn oil etc and laugh at anything newer that I have had… tuning can be done well or poorly… the latter and you’ll be looking at buying another!

OP
J

jac114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 Sport
It’s your car but personally I’d have it put back to stock find a recommended tuner. Whilst it’s possible a map can throw issues gone undetected, it sounds like you didn’t have any issues before the map. I fear they may try and waste your time and money blaming other things over their map/skills.

Too many mappers nowadays and in my day lots of similar cars were going bang with piston damage, performance variation etc. I still have mine today and they are 100% reliable, running strong, never burn oil etc and laugh at anything newer that I have had… tuning can be done well or poorly… the latter and you’ll be looking at buying another!

Thanks. I have spoke to Viezu Technician direct ( not the Garage who loaded the map) they have assured me that when they look at the diagnostic that the garage is doing (for free) they will he anke to see what needs tweaking and if they feel it's not something that will work or they would risk the car will be put back to the saved standard ecu map and I will he refunded.

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
Chances are it's a torque monitoring fault in ECU. In parallel to main torque calculation path there is a safety monitoring torque path. If the two calculations don't tally ( within a margin) the ECU assumes something has gone wrong and can cause a limitation or even trigger a reset to try and fix the issue. Chances are the dodgy remap only tweaks the maps in main torque path so at some point the two calculations don't equal and ECU takes action.

OP
J

jac114

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 Sport
So I think I have found the cause of the problem. It's the ESP Control. When it's on and the wheels break traction this is when the engine cuts power but does not seem to reset. Having tested driving without the ESP on there are no issues at all.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom