230TE Engine Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimN

Reaction score
After a long saga I fitted a second hand 102.980 engine into my 1981 Merc only to find that the crankshaft was knackered. I stripped the engine down and had the crankshaft reground. Interestingly enough it had been done before. Infact some of the con rod end caps were the wrong way round and two new pistons had been previously fitted. The big end and main journal bearings are now 0.75mm oversized. The oil presure is rock solid and the big end rumble gone. Anyway thats abit of history.

The engine has been reassembled and installed and is now suffering from a bit of rattle on idle. I'm almost certain that this is because of the camchain tensioner. Whilst the camchain cover was off I inserted the tensioner and tightened until the chain felt taught. I did not want to over tighten it in case the chain became stressed. The large 32mm or whatever it is, locking cap and spring were fitted after the chain cover was fitted. Unfortunately, Haynes do not do a manual for this so I cannot check procedures or torques.

Tony Browne

Reaction score
Hi Tim,
If it is the tensioner fit a new one, they wear and tend to slip back.
I assume theres a new chain fitted.
Regards Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom