23rd car and first ever Merc!

trevgo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe 2017 Hyacinth red, black/white nappa interior (coming June)
I've had multiple Ford, Renault, Fiat, Lancia, Citroen, Jaguar, BMW, Alfa, VW, Vauxhall, but have just ordered my first ever Merc. My 3 year old BMW 640d Gran Coupe has run out of warranty, has climbing mileage, and costs me a king's ransom in tax (through my business). Been a fantastic car though.

Living in London (commute out every day), it's time to go back to petrol to save my goolies from being boiled in oil by nice Mayor Kahn. Agonised over an XE 2.0, but too bland and having had one great XF and one shocker, I'm wary. New A5 Sportback TFSi - AWD was a big pull, but overall too dull and dealers who didn't seem to care. Very nearly went for a 440i Gran Coupe. Very good deals around, practical, can be specced to look funky, terrific engine - but I fancied a change, and the interiors are rather dull and dated now. And they're rather ubiquitous around these ere parts.

SO.....an E300 Coupe Prem Plus in hyacinth red with white/black nappa and quite a few more toys is scheduled for late June. It nearly didn't happen. Dealers around NE London are too terrible to describe in every way - got to be the worst of any marque. Drove the diesel, on 20" rims which I thought was a total dog. Read so many bad reviews of the 2.0 petrol, but still drove 130 miles to try the only demonstrator in the land. Pleasantly surprised. Car magazine describe it as like a "hot hatch engine in a car two sizes too big" and I wouldn't argue with that. It's not blindingly quick, nor does it sound wonderful. No comparison with a 440i, yet just as juicy.

But...I love the car and am prepared to compromise on the performance. There's no way I can stretch to an E400, much as I'd love to. So - I'm looking forward to all those Merc quirks I've sneered at all these years :). It will be fun getting to grips with a marque I know very little about.

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi trevgo, welcome to the forum. By goodness that took you a long time to see the light !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello and welcome! Pics or we won't believe you ;)

Don't go on 20"-ers either, awful on the roads around the Home Counties...

OP
trevgo

trevgo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh, fear not - after 3 consecutive cars on 20" rims (and the Bimmer rides better than the XFs which were shocking) there is no way I was going to go there again. I drive out and back on the M11 every day, which is in a terrible state and will only get worse. Had I have gone 440i, it would have been with adaptive dampers (option) and 18". As it is, I'm sticking with 19" on the Merc - the tester seemed fine - and whilst I toyed with air suspension, it was already pricey and I'm hoping the famed supple ride will cope OK.

I can't post a pic until I've got it, of course, but when it arrives I will oblige.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Took you a while my friend, where you been!
Welcome to the wonderful quirky world of Mercedes where anything can (and will) happen!
Also welcome to the forum, good choice you've made

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Trevgo and welcome to the forum - you won't regret it!

.....took you a long time to see the light !! :)

That's roughly what my Merc salesman said to me seven years ago when I moved over from BMW and I have never regretted it. The dealers round our way aren't perfect but they are a lot better than BMW ever were.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Welcome, you have picked a stunning colour combination :cool:

beccy

MBO Membership Secretary
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Welcome to the MBO forum

OP
trevgo

trevgo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Od dear. What started as a change that made economic sense has no gone to the dogs. I just changed my order to an E400! Same colour/spec.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Od dear. What started as a change that made economic sense has no gone to the dogs. I just changed my order to an E400! Same colour/spec.
Well done that man - heart over head every time! :D:D

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020

Noted that you changed your specn to an E400, but did you get to try the E300 petrol engine? Currently waiting to get hold of an E300 demonstrator (currently delayed at the factory) before placing an order. Tried the E220d on a couple of occasions; not a good comparison with an E350 Blutec but feel the need to change to petrol both for mileage and (uncertain) environmental reasons. Really can't justify the extra £10k for the E400 4-matic; if conditions are bad enough, I just stay home these days.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Wonder what the op did get? Heard nowt since May!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome, My E350CDI is on 18" summer & 17" winter wheels.
Not going near anything bigger.

Top Bottom