500 SEC idles too high

cellardoor

Reaction score
So far i can see there is a lot of old oil and dirt on the accelerator links, I will clean those up first. Then i will dismantle intake system looking for an airflow meter-perhaps it is dirty or malfunctioning and can be repaired. Or reset?
Anyone been there already? What did you find, what did you do, did it work??? Also the auto box will not kick down properly, it is a bit sluggish. I am hoping it can be adjusted via the accelerator-transmission connections. Although I do realise it has an electricall kickdown switch under the gas pedal.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How high is the idle, its possible its running off the main ECU and not the Idle relay, this depends on the system in the car

Can you put up the VIN 126--- next 3 wanted

I am off to bed now so later

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
So far i can see there is a lot of old oil and dirt on the accelerator links, I will clean those up first. Then i will dismantle intake system looking for an airflow meter-perhaps it is dirty or malfunctioning and can be repaired. Or reset?
Anyone been there already? What did you find, what did you do, did it work??? Also the auto box will not kick down properly, it is a bit sluggish. I am hoping it can be adjusted via the accelerator-transmission connections. Although I do realise it has an electricall kickdown switch under the gas pedal.

How fast is it idling at? firtsly make sure all the linkages are free and not siezed, and that the voltage protection unit has not blown its fuse and is working correctly, if its idling at 1100 rpm its more then likely the throtle venturi switch, The connector is visable under theair filter and can be bridged out from with a connector from the center pin to one of the outer terminals. one is for idle contact andthe other is for full throtle contact. if higher its either the idle control valve or idle control unit. if its the unit the revs are normally stuck at 1500 rpm.

Ps i hate typing

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How fast is it idling at? firtsly make sure all the linkages are free and not siezed, and that the voltage protection unit has not blown its fuse and is working correctly, if its idling at 1100 rpm its more then likely the throtle venturi switch, The connector is visable under theair filter and can be bridged out from with a connector from the center pin to one of the outer terminals. one is for idle contact andthe other is for full throtle contact. if higher its either the idle control valve or idle control unit. if its the unit the revs are normally stuck at 1500 rpm.

Ps i hate typing[/QUOTE

Welcome to the forum and thank you for typing what I was going to write.

You are like a dream come true :D :D

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)

Ps i hate typing[/QUOTE

Welcome to the forum and thank you for typing what I was going to write.

You are like a dream come true :D :D

Why oh why am i typing this stuff at 12.30 am, i work on them all day and for the last 22 years.

OP
C

cellardoor

Reaction score
cheers
well I am finally able to have a go at fixing this,
the idle is about 900rpm, when i slip it into neutral it revs up to 16-1700 then slowly drops back to aboiut 900 (takes a couple of seconds). the linkages seem free enough, they are dirty and i will clean them soonish. This motor is also overheating, it takes about 20 mins or so for the temp to creep up over 100 then it just seems to want to keep going. is ok at 70mph, but hopeless in traffic. I have done a few checks, rad ok, thermostst ok, fluids ok, not losing any. mystery problem. two people have suggested head gasket but i am notr convinced

Top Bottom